PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bounce went the rock....CRACK went the glass !

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Default RE: Bounce went the rock....CRACK went the glass !

ORIGINAL: HUMMER DRIVER

I've had my H3 for about 5 months now and I've already got two small chips in my glass, they were tiny rocks kicked up on the interstate by a passing truck both times. They aren't running, they're really small, less than a half inch or less.

I'm bummed the glass is so fragile. I thought GM glass was a little better, I guess it's due to the angle of the windshield.

I have Allstate insurance, they tell me I've got zero deductible on glass chip repairs, so when I get some time I'll go find one of those shops that do windshield repair before the hot summer comes and it really starts running.

Has many of you guys and gals out there had problems with small rocks chipping the glass? just curious is it's bad luck on my part or if this is kinda normal for the H3.
Exact same thing here, 2 small rocks hit my window on the interstate. They haven't started to spread, but they both took out a chip in the window.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 AM

Same thing happened to me on the interstate. 2 small chips on drivers side. I called the insurance company and they sent someone out to fill them.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 AM

Well as to the chips they charged me 25 bucks each to seal them. What was once refered to as the Novus Method. Here in Guadalajara they charge 20 bucks. That stops them from spreading.

As to 600 bucks. sounds about right to me but you might want to compare your insurance rate and your deductible. Usually self-coverage is far cheaper in the long run.

poncho

Old 04-04-2007, 09:57 AM

I tell you this old age memory loss sucks! I meant to say I paid 25 bucks when we lived in Las Vegas.

sorry,

poncho

Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Knock wood..nothing yet...I know flying debris is hard to avoid at hi-way speeds..but if I'm on a two laner and I approach an oncomming car/truck/whatever..I move over as far as I can to the right with almost putting a tire on the shoulder knowing the problem with flying rocks being spit out by car tires.

On the Freeways..I don't follow anthing too close if I can help it, especially dump trucks and big rigs.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Had mine about a week; first trip on th LIE, whack, looks like someone shot it, right in the passenger side, bottom corner. I'll have to get it replaced but I'm just going to drive it as is for a while; beat up on it a little longer before swapping it out. It's worth having 100% glass coverage and it's CHEAP insurance. Something like $20 year.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 PM

About four months after we got our new H3, we had to replace the entire windshield due to a direct hit from a large rock. [:@]! Then the replacement windshield got a rock chip about two months later and we had it sealed. [:@][:@]! About a month after that, we got another chip, which I have yet to get fixed. [:@][:@][:@]! I've never seen anything like this before on any vehicle I've owned. Other than having to budget a new windshield every once in a while, we do love our H3!

Old 04-04-2007, 03:38 PM

I did have a big rock hit my hood, dent and scrathced down to bare metal !!! luckily it didnt hit the windshield too, but scared the **** out of me, iut was very loud,, I actually think someone threw it from an overpass.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Just took a rock hit to the front glass today. [:@][:@][:@]

Dealer quoted me $600 and change for a replacement.
And you didn't call your dealer hookup???

Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM

I just had my windshield replaced last month. I had a few chips in it, but then had a rock hit it the the crack was going in three directions. No cost to me to have it replaced. Just called State Farm and they had someone out to replace the windshield within 2 days. I am sure it won't be the first windshield I will have to have replaced on the H3 either. Sucks though for any of you who hav to pay for it yourself!

Quick Reply: Bounce went the rock....CRACK went the glass !