PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a hummer this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Default Bought a hummer this past weekend

i bought a pre owned hummer 05 H2 SUT on sunday from Mark Christopher Hummer in Ontario this past weekend. I freakin love it. My previous cars were both mercedes C class' and they were slammed, so it's nice being so high. I still have my c class also. I'll post a picture of that later, i don't have a pic of it here at work. I think i have a picture of my benz on my myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/pirulove The H2 has 22 inch wheels, rear seat dvd, carbon fiber interior. I am eager to do some mods to it.

Anyways, i have a question for you guys...i can't fit it in my garage and i tried looking up removing the roof rails because without that, it would fit perfectly. I did a search and it looks like you can just remove the rear roof light and the attachments slide off. I tried to do this last night and discovered like a star pattern screw. I'm not very handy, but if i had the right tool, i think i can do it myself. So my question is, is the pattern unique to GM, or can i buy it at Home Depot? I'd rather not take it to Hummer and save the estimated 100 dollars that it takes for them to do it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2938/F1FA1E88C5E641E9899345567FAAE5AC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2938/151492B9AD32418EBB8DA48C5496A2EE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Bought a hummer this past weekend

Welcome D2!

The screwdrivers you are looking for are Torx. They sell them at most hardware stores, but you'll have the best luck at Sears or Ace Hardware. Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_10664

That will show you. There are Torx screwdrivers with holes in the tips and without. I don't know which one the H2 uses but either one will work. I'm not sure as to the size you'll need so you may have to buy a set.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Welcome, White is a pretty nice color, and the SUT is sweet.!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: d2tecnik

i bought a pre owned hummer 05 H2 SUT on sunday from Mark Christopher Hummer in Ontario this past weekend. I freakin love it. My previous cars were both mercedes C class' and they were slammed, so it's nice being so high. I still have my c class also. I'll post a picture of that later, i don't have a pic of it here at work. I think i have a picture of my benz on my myspace page. www.myspace.com/pirulove The H2 has 22 inch wheels, rear seat dvd, carbon fiber interior. I am eager to do some mods to it.

Anyways, i have a question for you guys...i can't fit it in my garage and i tried looking up removing the roof rails because without that, it would fit perfectly. I did a search and it looks like you can just remove the rear roof light and the attachments slide off. I tried to do this last night and discovered like a star pattern screw. I'm not very handy, but if i had the right tool, i think i can do it myself. So my question is, is the pattern unique to GM, or can i buy it at Home Depot? I'd rather not take it to Hummer and save the estimated 100 dollars that it takes for them to do it.

It's rather ironic this was brought up today ... I just took mine off last night :-) While I don't recall the size of the torq bit itself that is in fact what you need, like HG said. You will need to slide off or pull off the black rubber strip at the top of the crossbar to expose the screws. Undo them and you can pull the bars off and then remove the plastic fasteners. Don't forget you need to get the plastic side pieces off the cross bars themselves, you should have keys for them. If you run in to any probs, send me a PM and I'll take some pics for you tonight when I get home :-)

Nice looking rig by the way, and the right color too :-) I will however have to rag on you like I've done every other birch white H2 owner ... time to get rid of those evil colored cab/roof lights and get some clear/smoked ones :-) LOL! Who have I missed here .. did I rag on you yet Muddy!?!?! :-)

Nick

Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: d2tecnik

i bought a pre owned hummer 05 H2 SUT on sunday from Mark Christopher Hummer in Ontario this past weekend. I freakin love it. My previous cars were both mercedes C class' and they were slammed, so it's nice being so high. I still have my c class also. I'll post a picture of that later, i don't have a pic of it here at work. I think i have a picture of my benz on my myspace page. www.myspace.com/pirulove The H2 has 22 inch wheels, rear seat dvd, carbon fiber interior. I am eager to do some mods to it.

Hey...and WELCOME!!

I had the same problem... you need NO TOOLS to remove the roof rack, I took it to my local dealer and he removed both the small black channelslocks with his fingers and this allowed the rails to slide off pushing them to therear of my rig.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 PM

thanks for the wiki link, hummerguy.

thx for the clarification and additional information, nick & bassgear.

i would love to have all the lights clear or smoked. i actually wasn't planning on buying this and i've never had a American car before, so i have no idea where to even start, although i did browse ebay last night. In any case, i'll be looking through the posts and whatnot and hopefully i can start learning more about the car.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:12 PM

Bassgear is right, no tools required to remove them. loosen the little wheels on the part that connects to the roof rail, pop off the plastic retainer between the end of the rail and the light, slide the rack back and lift. easy as pie.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Awsome.....................another SUT'er.....................Welcome

Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 PM

talk about one extreme to the other, slammed mercedes and now an sut, NICE. Glad you came to your senses. Now go spend sometime at the hardware store!!!![sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 PM

so i did have to get the Torx screwdrivers and i had to remove the light housing that's near the back of the rails and then undo 2 screws on each side and 1 screw for the red light housing. After that, they slid off the rear. I tried to see what you guys meant by not needing tools, but i couldn't figure it out. Nonetheless, thx for everyone's help and i did manage to post a picture of my benz in the original post.

Quick Reply: Bought a hummer this past weekend