PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problem please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Default Big problem please help!

Wife was driving my h3 and it just turned off. The traction control crap came up and here is the list of crap I have done!
Replaced battery
Tested all coil packs
Checked all spark plugs
Performed a compression test on each cylinder
R&R computer
Tested all wires on engine harness
R&R injectors
R&R crank position sensor
R&R intake gaskets
Tested and R&R throttle body
R&R accelerator solenoid
Cleaned EGR valve
and still runs like crap!
requires you to give it gas just to start it, once you get it started you can bring it up to about 2000rmps and it starts to clear up. If you try and drive it you may make it three blocks and it goes into limp mode and turns off!
any ideas, please help

Old 02-22-2018, 10:51 AM

Clean Mass Air Flow Sensor and Throttle Body.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by menace
Wife was driving my h3 and it just turned off. The traction control crap came up and here is the list of crap I have done!
Replaced battery
Tested all coil packs
Checked all spark plugs
Performed a compression test on each cylinder
R&R computer
Tested all wires on engine harness
R&R injectors
R&R crank position sensor
R&R intake gaskets
Tested and R&R throttle body
R&R accelerator solenoid
Cleaned EGR valve
requires you to give it gas just to start it, once you get it started you can bring it up to about 2000rmps and it starts to clear up. If you try and drive it you may make it three blocks and it goes into limp mode and turns off!
any ideas, please help
H3s don't have an EGR Valve????????

What is an accelerator solenoid?

I see you replaced the battery, but does it still have the OEM Crappy Azzed Battery Terminal Connectors? #1 cause of electrical gremlins for H3s and easy to rule out by hacking of the POS OEMs and replacing with a quality aftermarket set.

Might want to look over this thread and do some searching.
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...what-do-33916/

Let us know if you need more help.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 PM

Replaced battery. ++++++ (NEW?)
Tested all coil packs +++++(how was this accomplished?)
Checked all spark plugs ++++++(brand?)
Performed a compression test on each cylinder +++++(compression on each?)
R&R computer (please elaborate???)
Tested all wires on engine harness +++++(elaborate????)
R&R injectors +++++(elaborate???)
R&R crank position sensor +++++(elaborate????)
R&R intake gaskets +++++(elaborate????)
Tested and R&R throttle body +++++(elaborate????)
R&R accelerator solenoid +++++(elaborate????)
Cleaned EGR valve +++++ No such animal +++++

any ideas, please help

Please provide more indepth information

Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Default Big problem please help

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
Please provide more indepth information
ok everything you see that I R&R I replaced new the coil packs I replaced each one at a time and on the computer that is the engine computer on the fire wall and again I have a California model and yes it has an EGR valve most have this plugged off and they have coused lots of problem for people if they have a carbon build up. Every code that my snap- on code reader sent me to I checked and replaced just wanting the problem to go away. On the compression test every cylinder was around the same 170. I can say one thing she will run great one day again.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

ok everything you see that I R&R I replaced new the coil packs I replaced each one at a time and on the computer that is the engine computer on the fire wall and again I have a California model and yes it has an EGR valve most have this plugged off and they have coused lots of problem for people if they have a carbon build up. Every code that my snap- on code reader sent me to I checked and replaced just wanting the problem to go away. On the compression test every cylinder was around the same 170. I can say one thing she will run great one day again.
Nope, the H3 uses VVT instead, none of them have an EGR valve, not the ones that were built in Louisiana, nor South Africa. Xero, none, zed.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM

they have an egr "system" that uses an orfice to control air volume not the old type valve that stuck! it does the same thing.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by happythree
they have an egr "system" that uses an orfice to control air volume not the old type valve that stuck! it does the same thing.
You are thinking of crankcase ventilation, not EGR.

From the official GM Press Release upon launch of the 3.7L:
"VVT enhances performance and improves emissions by regulating the timing of the opening and closing of the exhaust valves. With VVT, camshaft lobe profiles are selected to enhance power, torque and engine smoothness, and the valve timing is optimized for the camshaft at different rpm levels by the PCM. VVT also eliminates the need for external exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and contributes to improved emissions. With VVT, the exhaust valves' timing can be adjusted to "retard" the exhaust cam, thereby creating internal EGR. These leftover gases are recycled into the next burn cycle, improving emissions and engine performance."

It all happens inside the motor electronically controlled through the PCM using VVT. The exhaust gases never escape, they just linger within the upper cylinder and head until the next ignition cycle and that condition continues and is slowly reduced (the exhaust cam is advanced) by the PCM until the vehicle reaches full operating temp.

Technology killed the EGR valve.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You are thinking of crankcase ventilation, not EGR.

From the official GM Press Release upon launch of the 3.7L:
"VVT enhances performance and improves emissions by regulating the timing of the opening and closing of the exhaust valves. With VVT, camshaft lobe profiles are selected to enhance power, torque and engine smoothness, and the valve timing is optimized for the camshaft at different rpm levels by the PCM. VVT also eliminates the need for external exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and contributes to improved emissions. With VVT, the exhaust valves' timing can be adjusted to "retard" the exhaust cam, thereby creating internal EGR. These leftover gases are recycled into the next burn cycle, improving emissions and engine performance."

It all happens inside the motor electronically controlled through the PCM using VVT. The exhaust gases never escape, they just linger within the upper cylinder and head until the next ignition cycle and that condition continues and is slowly reduced (the exhaust cam is advanced) by the PCM until the vehicle reaches full operating temp.

Technology killed the EGR valve.
[img]webkit-fake-url://3efce159-91bb-46ed-bb96-e442e67446af/imagejpeg[/img]

Old 02-24-2018, 12:06 PM

[img]webkit-fake-url://3efce159-91bb-46ed-bb96-e442e67446af/imagejpeg[/img]
this is it

Quick Reply: Big problem please help!