PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best replacement battery for H2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Default Best replacement battery for H2?

I can not find a good replacement battery for the 8-year old original OEM GM battery in our 2007 H2 SUV.

Anyone can recommend a good replacement, in the correct series/size?

I know that red-top Optima are smaller than the OEM battery. I love them, and used them in other vehicles and offroad too. But there is a fit issue.

The OEM battery is available from GM parts, and is REALLY expensive. But does an AGM (no free liquid) battery like the Optima exist for the H2?

What are people putting in as a replacement?

I need a high-end battery, so no bottom-of-the-barrel battery like Interstate or similar. Willing to pay for something that will last and not splash acid around (the OEM never leaked).

Is the OEM still the best choice for replacement? I want to have this lined up before the OEM battery dies. I expect the 6-year rated OEM battery, which is now 8 years old, will go soon? What kind of life did you get from the OEM battery in your H2?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 PM

Thanks citiboy.

However, there is a problem. What you show is a tiny group 34 battery, like the Optima red top 34 or 78. The Odyssey does have 35% better reserve capacity than the equivalent Optima.

My H2 OEM battery is a huge group 79. Dimensionally much larger. For a good reason?
So not just a drop-in, but would need bracket modification and elimination of the OEM battery blanket....

Know of any proper size high-end batteries that may fit?

Last edited by finall; 01-06-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:41 AM

Interstate now has AGM batteries. Check with your local interstate distributor.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by finall
I can not find a good replacement battery for the 8-year old original OEM GM battery in our 2007 H2 SUV.

Anyone can recommend a good replacement, in the correct series/size?

I know that red-top Optima are smaller than the OEM battery. I love them, and used them in other vehicles and offroad too. But there is a fit issue.

The OEM battery is available from GM parts, and is REALLY expensive. But does an AGM (no free liquid) battery like the Optima exist for the H2?

What are people putting in as a replacement?

I need a high-end battery, so no bottom-of-the-barrel battery like Interstate or similar. Willing to pay for something that will last and not splash acid around (the OEM never leaked).

Is the OEM still the best choice for replacement? I want to have this lined up before the OEM battery dies. I expect the 6-year rated OEM battery, which is now 8 years old, will go soon? What kind of life did you get from the OEM battery in your H2?

Thanks for the help!

My OEM battery in my 05 h2 lasted 7 years, replaced it with another OEM.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Interstate now has AGM batteries. Check with your local interstate distributor.
Can you be more specific?

Because Interstate does not list one for the 07 H2 on their website.

Please provide model # of battery you purchased. Thanks.

Last edited by finall; 01-07-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:03 AM

I just checked the site for an AGM for my Camaro. It is not listed either. I know they have AGM for the Camaro as I have bought two within the last three months for both my cars. Probably will need to call them or stop by a local distributor.

Last edited by mp51998; 01-08-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by finall
Can you be more specific?

Because Interstate does not list one for the 07 H2 on their website.

Please provide model # of battery you purchased. Thanks.
MT7-78 is the closest AGM for our H2's it's about an inch less in length than the OEM group 79 battery

Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 AM

interstate is bottom of barrel?

Old 01-11-2015, 05:40 PM

Funny how I just saw this thread today. I had a advanced auto-parts gold battery part number 79-1 that I installed in July. With the recent below zero temperatures here in Massachusetts, my hummmie has had trouble starting. I just installed a red top optima in my 03 H2 just a couple of hours ago.The Optima red top battery came with a new battery hold down and fit perfect. It was the same width as the Autocraft gold battery that I took out, the Optima had a shorter length but had no affect on fitment.

I believe the Optima Red Top part number was 8078-109 I'll double check if your interested.

800 CCA
1000 CA

Quick Reply: Best replacement battery for H2?