PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bang for the buck (proformance mod?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Default Best bang for the buck (proformance mod?)

I bought a 2008 H3 Alpha and was wondering what the biggest gains in proformance were dollar for dollar. I am thinking of the air doc intake with K&N filter and some sort of exhaust system. I dont want the exhaust to be too loud inside the passenger compartment but a nice rumble outside would be fine.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:17 PM

I have not done it yet, but it is my plan to purchase and Air Doc Intake. I need to sell a set of factory rims first. I also intend to purchase a dual exhaust and have the PCM tuned. This seems to be very popular here on the forum and can be done for about a $1000 depending on what type of exhaust system you choose.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 AM

I love the sound of my B&B exhaust..plus it has a GM part number. I got mine from www.gmpartsdirect.com

Attached Thumbnails Best bang for the buck (proformance mod?)-h3exh.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 AM

D Vader....is your truck an alpha? got a part number for the exhaust?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 PM

if you left the spare tire at home and changed the factory rims to something super light, the weight savings might increase your acceleration.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

You could try the PCM tune, PCMforless.com, Westers Garage out of Canada, and others are tuning them.

There has also been good feedback on the Superchips Cortex but it costs quite a bit more than a PCM tune. http://www.superchips.com/products.p...M+Applications

I would say the best band for the buck is Intake, followed very closely by a PCM tune: (PCMforless, then Westers because of price not results). If you do an intake first, then you may disagree and say i got more from PCM related tuning, which will happen in conjunction with an intake. If you do the PCM tuning first, then an intake, visa versa.

Exhaust is nice for some sound, but it is not going to give you a butt dyno register.
MagnaFlow has an Alpha CAT back for $567 w/free shipping (lifetime warranty) and this is more than an intake, K&N air filter, and PCM tune added together. I am still a huge fan of exhaust related improvement.

I saw where a fellow went to his local exhaust shop and had them install a custom single outlet CAT bake with flowmaster muffler for about $250.00? Looked very good too, but not SS and no lifetime warranty.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by j-son
if you left the spare tire at home and changed the factory rims to something super light, the weight savings might increase your acceleration.
yes.. totally agree

the more weight u take off, the faster u go
(just make sure u dont take off so much weight so u dont fly off) (^_^)