PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad valve seat in #2

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Exclamation Bad valve seat in #2

I was alerted to this potential problem here on the forums, so thanks for the heads up, My question is How many of these problems have occured, and why we as hummer owners have not come together and approached GM for some assistance. My GM dealer here in tucson say the Pick up truck {Canyon?} has a bullitin concerning this, yet not the H3.
H3 Is like new with only 42000 miles and now needs a 2500.00 repair. Why do we not start a letter writing campaign, contact out congressman (we are all unwilling investors in GM after all) thanks to the Govenment bailout.
If I didnt enjoy this car so much Id sell it or trade it as is. for a Jeep!
This is wrong for GM to not atleast offer us a warranty rate on parts and labor...
Also- I replaced my airfilter with one from AutoZone, Brand is STP. as soon as I installed it I had the engine light come on , and throw the code P171 'lean bank one" installed a GM filter light went out.....

Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

You painted you question with a broad strokes using a roller, how about fine tuning it and start with model and year.

How did you or anyone diagnose your problem as a "bad valve seat #2"?

Your information from the dealer is wrong. The service bulletin that I can only assume you are referring to was for all Atlas Motors built before march 31, 2006.

From a post of mine back in August 2009:
"The S/Ns affected is any 2006 H3 lower than 287591 .... the first one started with 100,001, your truck build date will be Nov. 06 or earlier. Not all have the problem, but some could. The head issue affected not only the I5, 4s and 6s were subject to the same issues. Call GM with your vin# and build date (from the sticker in the driver's door jam) and ask.

Just in case you're gonna say, wow they didn't even build that many 3s? The VINs are assigned at the same Shreveport plant building Colorados and Canyons. Their VIN sequence unit #s are mixed in and subject to the same TSB re: the head/valve issue.

The recall and extended warranty was for very early 2006s, those with the 3.5L L52 Motors built before March 31, 2006. That is not to say some 3.7L LLRs have never had a valve or head issue. All the Atlas motors built since 4/1/06 have the new hardened valve seats."

Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

What they did for those 2006 trucks was extend the warranty to cover the valve train another 50K miles or to 5 years from date of purchase. If you don't have an 06 you don't have that problem. If you do, it is now out of warranty.

Whining is great, but knowledge is power. There is plenty of info on here about many people getting some or all L52 (3.5L) and LLR (3.7L) head issues covered by GMs good will warranty program. Search it out, make the call before you spend the money. First thing you need to do is educate your local dealer.

Best of luck and welcome to the forums.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Default As you wish Doc

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You painted you question with a broad strokes using a roller, how about fine tuning it and start with model and year.

How did you or anyone diagnose your problem as a "bad valve seat #2"?

Your information from the dealer is wrong. The service bulletin that I can only assume you are referring to was for all Atlas Motors built before march 31, 2006.

From a post of mine back in August 2009:
"The S/Ns affected is any 2006 H3 lower than 287591 .... the first one started with 100,001, your truck build date will be Nov. 06 or earlier. Not all have the problem, but some could. The head issue affected not only the I5, 4s and 6s were subject to the same issues. Call GM with your vin# and build date (from the sticker in the driver's door jam) and ask.

Just in case you're gonna say, wow they didn't even build that many 3s? The VINs are assigned at the same Shreveport plant building Colorados and Canyons. Their VIN sequence unit #s are mixed in and subject to the same TSB re: the head/valve issue.

The recall and extended warranty was for very early 2006s, those with the 3.5L L52 Motors built before March 31, 2006. That is not to say some 3.7L LLRs have never had a valve or head issue. All the Atlas motors built since 4/1/06 have the new hardened valve seats."
2006 H3
42000 miles
GM dealer performed leak down test 42% leakage
Bad valve seat.
Vin is below 28K

I have a friend with same year, Vin in the same series, and he has 180K miles with out a problem. GM screwed up, and should just pony up for the fix. Even if its just charging the customer warranty rates on parts and labor. Its pretty dissapointing to me.
This falls right in there with GM's idea to use a resistor in place of a reostat for the AC blower (mine melted the wires) so they could save $1.00.
When we drop $35K on a car I expect better....much better.