PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Back in a base 08 H3 . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Default Back in a base 08 H3 . . .

So, I get in the H3 to go to work this morning and noticethe CEL on as I pull out of the garage. I changed my destination to the dealer and went straight to the Chevrolet dealer that just took over Hummer service on Hurstborne in Louisville. Same dealer/owner family (Bachman) just a change in service dept. I had a bit of trepidation with Chevy doing the service but really had no choice; however,they did treat me very nicely and gave me an 08 H3 as a loaner. I also listed the popping heated seat fuse, the alternator pulley TSB and the windshield high-speed whistle.

Anyway, they gave me this base H3 with the dealer name splashed in large letters all over the windows (at least it's a black H3) and I figure I've got a second chance to evaluate the base-to-lux/Adventure/Alpha differences since the last base H3 loaner I got when I had the belt squeek fixed shortly after getting the Alpha. The original impressions I had and conclusions I came to have not really changed from my last post about this then. Mainly, the Alpha/Adventure/lux is, IMHO, well worth the upgrade for the added driveline smoothness, power and comfort. The base model with the I5 does everything I ask of it and holds it's own on the surface streets and highways but with less refinement and more engine buzz. I can never get comfortable in the base seats without the extra height and adjustment the lux package adds and, for that reason alone,would not purchase it.

This H3 had barely 900 miles when I got in it so it's fresh and the latest iteration. One curious improvement I noticed immediately is the considerably stronger/louder horn than my Alpha's. Maybe they finally addressed this flaw.

Other than that, I am happy to be driving a Hummer as a loaner rather than a plain-jane Chevy. Course, I wouldn't have turned down one of the eight, yes eight, Z06 vettes they had sitting in the showroom. Almost put a deposit down on a fully optioned black one when they told me the loaner was ready.

Hopefully, I'll get my H3 back tomorrow all better.

P.S. I really, really miss my bu camera!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Default RE: Back in a base 08 H3 . . .

good luck..............at least you got another H3.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 PM

The only one you need toworry abouton your Alpha purchase is you....This is your opinion from the get go... so let your mind be atrest on your purchase. I have an I-5 and amvery happy with it.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Anyone that has driven the base model and Alpha would know the difference.