PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Auto -vs- Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Auto -vs- Manual

Yup. Drive BOTH and decide, IF you can find a stick. The shifting is silky-smooth. You won't be dissappointed, especially if you ever go off-roading.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 PM

My H3 is a boy too.

I've driven 3 loaners that have been automatics.

Advantages of the manual.

Off the line they feel about the same. The stick may feel a little quicker because it has a lower first gear.

The biggest difference is seen on freeway on ramps and while passing. With the stick, in 3rd gear you get "vrooooom" with the slush box you get "uhhhhhhhg".

For a truck, the clutch is effortless and the throw isVERY short, once again, for a truck.

The pedals are close enough together that you canoperate all three at once.

Disadvantages of the manual.

The pedals are close enough together that if you have large feet you may find yourself operating more than one at once inadvertently. I only hit the clutch and brake at the same time a couple times before I got use to it and it was only in my work boots (size 10.5).

The parking brake is foot operated, but since you can work the three pedals easily, its not that big a deal.

Plan on ordering one the way you want it. I didn't have this option. The only option I wanted was the adventure package. They had just stopped '07 production and there wasn't one on a lot anywhere in the country with manual trans and adventure irregardless of any other optionsI may or may not have wanted. I considered myself lucky to find the color I wanted with no options within 400 miles.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but the H3 is very near Aisin's max specs for the AR5 as far as HP TQ and weight. At the same time it seems to be very solid and its considered an upgrade for high HP Toyota Supras.

Towing weight is significantly less than with the auto.

------

For me, the only reason I initially considered the H3 when I had to make a quick decision on a new vehicle was because it is one of a very small group of SUVs that are available with a manual tranny...... it did make shopping a lot easier.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:25 PM

Also remember the I-5upped it's grunt factor in 2007 so it's not too bad on the road with the extra horses under the hood. My last SUV was a Ford Explorer and although not as quick it still can move out when I have to stomp on it. The pre 2007 owners have a smaller HP engine, and Alpha owners just don't understand what we're talking aboot.
The stick vs juice box issue has been around forever.It all depends on what you like best because there is no right answer. I have the 4 speed auto and wish it were a 5 or 6 speed auto but oh well, that's life. I also love shifting my own gears, an old throwback to my truck driving days I guess but sure appreciate the auto in heavy traffic. So consider what you like best and good luck in your purchase!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 AM

As Steve said,
Towing weight is significantly less than with the auto.
, and this is significant. I love driving a manual so I have an 07 5spd. Towing capacity is about 1500 lbs less. Keep that in mind. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the Auto if I had known. It is in the manual but I didn't see it until I needed to tow something and I wanted to check max towing capacity.

Personally, I am finding that the shifting is not as smooth as I would like. I complained to the dealer and they test drove it and said the shifting seemed fine. I still find it kind of "klunky" and will be watching it, if it gets worse it will go back to the dealer.

Rob

Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 AM

if you tow and need 1500lbs more then look at auto... but the shifting isn't klunky at all. i have had many many 5 and 6 speeds and this is one of the smoothest..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TonyH3

if you tow and need 1500lbs more then look at auto... but the shifting isn't klunky at all. i have had many many 5 and 6 speeds and this is one of the smoothest..
I agree.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 AM

i've driven them both, and agree with the smooth shifting. the clutch pedal was surprisingly light - i expected it to be a bit stiff and heavy, but it was like butter.what i didn't like, though, was the fact that i felt like i had to shift out of first at 10-15mph. it's geared a bit low for me to drive around urban areas - stop and go traffic would drive me nuts.