PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armrest mods (raise them)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Default Armrest mods (raise them)

Is it just me or are the armrests really low?

Well,...a year and a half ago I raised mine. Couldn't make it through week 2 with them the way they were.

The center one was easy. I removed one of the screws that holds the top on,...went to Lowes and got some screws that were the exact same,.. but silver and 1.5" longer. I also bought some 1.5" long nylon dowels.

Voila! To undo it,..I'll just put the factory screws back in. I have them stored in the bottom of the center console.

From your normal driving position,..you never notice it. (looks like I need to dust)

Next was the door armrest. This was going to be tougher. 2 complaints. One was that it was too low,...and the second was that (for no apparent reason),..it stopped about 3" foreward of the door opening. My arm missed it completely (I'm 6' 2").

So I made this piece out of 3/4 oak that I had lying around. I even used a router to recess the window controls. It attaches to the holes that the window switches snap into with zip ties. Putting it back to stock will take about 1 minute. Pop the switches out,...cut 2 zip ties,..and snap the switches back into the door. It should be higher though. 1.5" would be nice,..and padded too. But as it is it's fine,..and my arm has someplace to rest.

Showing gap to door.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Default RE: Armrest mods (raise them)

sorry but that's lame

Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 AM

kinda weird.. but ya gotta do what ya gotta do huh?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 AM

Very nice, good job!

Old 11-29-2007, 12:58 PM

i myself would have tried to make it look more factory,but thats just me

Old 11-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Darken the screws and raise that door armrest a bit while padding it and your golden. Great idea and more functional! Nice man... [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 11-29-2007, 10:20 PM

I hear you on the last 2 posts.

Keep in mind though that this is a lease,...so I wasn't willing to spend too awfull much time or do any dammage to the car.

Also,..that first pic was taken with the camera on the seat bottom. You can't see the white dowels normally. I just took that pic to show what was going on.

No one has ever noticed it though. It looks like the second picture when you get in and out,.....and it looks stock once you're in the car. You're looking almost straight down at that point.

When I first did the wood thing on the door,..it was just to try it out. I had planned to add a 1/4" to 1/2" spacer under it later and cover it in batting and then black vinly, ...............................but as you can see,...that never happened.

On a different note; Anyone have legroom problems in these? I had 2. One being the brake pedal too close to the gas and center hump,...so my foot gets caught on the back of the brake pedal when comming off the gas and going to the brake,.......the other being that both pedals were too close to the driver. My knee would hit the steering wheel while trying to get my foot on the brake.

I was able to do something about the later. I moved the gas pedal back 3/4" and the brake pedal back 1.5 - 2".

Just curious. (probably 3-4" of room behind the brake pedal with it depressed by the way). Looks like they could have run an adjustablepedal setup if they wanted.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:25 PM

At 6'3" this sounds like something I would like to do. How did you move the pedals back?

Nova...

Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 AM

Seems like duckstu's mods could make a nice aftermarket business ... hint hint

Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 AM

if he cleans it up maybe

Quick Reply: Armrest mods (raise them)