PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyway of telling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Default Anyway of telling?

If a tire sensor is bad?Cant get light to stop going off.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 PM

If all tires are at the correct pressure it is either gone bad, or needs a new battery. If a new battery fixes the issue do it to all of them because they'll all do it sooner or later.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you have all four tires on the ground set at exactly the same 38-40 PSI cold, then it could be you have a bad sensor, or the battery is dead in one or more TPM. The batteries last around 5 years +, maybe 6.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 03-14-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: can't type
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
If you have all four tires on the groubd set at exactly the same 38-40 PSI cold, then it could be you have a bad sensor, or the battery is dead in one or more TPM. The batteries last around 5 years +, maybe 6.
Should my tires be up that high? I have OEM tires and the sticker in my door jamb says 30 front and rear.....

Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

If you want to make sure you stop getting false TPMS warnings.

This has all been covered in to bazillion threads over the years. At 35 you can still get false warnings, at 38 you should never get a false warning, and depending on where you live, you might not have problems at 36, or 37. The trick is to have all four on the ground exactly the same.

See what your tire sidewall says.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned
Default See what your tire sidewall says.

we all do it but the book says dont. it says read the door jamb info since the veh is designed with a tire at a certain pressure, not the min/max.
usually not a problem but if an accident can in any way be related to improper pressure, be sure the mfgr,insurance co, GOVT,could screw us. jfwiw

Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM

I had this happen to me after driving home with my new truck. The TPM light came on. So I took it to my local tire store and they checked the pressure in each tire. One was rather low and they found a nail in the tire.

The took the tire off and fixed the hole. The warning light stayed on for a few minutes and then went off. The next morning the TPM light was on again. Back to the tire store and the same tire was low again.

They told me to go to the dealer as it could be a faulty value and still under warrenty. So off to the dealership. They tightened it and the light again went off. The next morning it was on again.

Ugg... Back to the dealership. They found that the seal around the value was bad and replaced it.

The warning light has remained off.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 PM

I had mine into the dealer last week, it wasn't a sensor but the receiver. Glad it's under warranty cause it's $700 according to the dealer.

GOD I HATE TPMS, what a waste. Seems like everyone I talk with is also feed up with and spending hundreds to turn a dam light off

No doubt they are big drain on every dealer that sells pre-owen cars & trucks

Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM

i work at Dunn tire and i have seen alot of TPMS - and i agree it sucks esp now because if you take the tire off the rim in-correctly the sensor can snap and break. The thing i hate the most about them is if the tire pressure should be at 32 for say and the tire is at 31 the light comes on they should have set it so if tire pressure should be at 32 and ur tire is low at say 25-28lbs then turn on - not 1 lb low. in the past few weeks ive probley filled 30-40 diff cars/truck with air and they have only been 1-2lbs low on air- in my hummer i run my 285-75-16 bfgs at 40lbs my light has yet to come on other then when we have had real freezing temps and i would first start driving i would get that stupid TPM SERV on my thinggy i ignored it haha went back off after a min or 2 of driving

the thing that makes me laugh the most is the car companys that put TPMS sensors in the spare tire when theyre not even active most vehicles TPMS computer reciver can only operate 4 of them at a time lol go figure not most people will know how to set the spare tire sensor if needed to be put on for a long period of time

just my thoughts lol :-D

Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM

Yea SERVICE TPM SYSTEM reading goes off after a few seconds, but round tire icon stays lit on dash. Goes off when you restart vehicle?

Last edited by gotafish; 03-15-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyway of telling?