PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Have a Drawer System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Default I'm Thinking of Building a Drawer System

I need a project, and seeing everyone's drawers on this other forum, http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ead.php?t=9034, has really inspired me.

I found this guy from Australia that is a member on here: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ghlight=drawer, and also a member at the other forum where there are more pictures of his sweet setup, http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...?t=9034&page=5.

I like his setup, but I'm wanting a flat top that will extend to behind the front seats, and far enough from the ceiling that I can sleep on it. Which is it's main purpose: provide storage for camping, and allow a place to sleep in the vehicle. I'm 23 years old, 5'10" and 160 lbs. I know the distance from the back hatch to the front seats is only a little over 5 feet, but I'm ok with that. I'm young and still able to sleep in not the best conditions. I'd want to have a cooler on one side that could slide out. I'm thinking it'd look like this where I've marked an outline of what I want.

And overhead view would be something like this:

Name:  overhead.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  6.7 KB

My H3 is my daily driver, which brings me to one of my concerns. I'd like this to be able to go over the rear seats so they don't have to be removed. And I'd like the system to be able to be taken out and stood upright in my garage when not in use.

It would be two drawers high like I drew over the picture. One drawer would hold a portable stove with a hidden storage exactly like this

Name:  di7.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  63.2 KB

The other drawer would be for random supplies and would probably be the longest drawer, and require a good quality slider for it to extend probably 3 feet or more.

My wood working experience includes building speaker boxes and tv stands. One held a 13" tv, and another on wheels held a 60 lb stereo and a 150 lb 36" tv.

Any comments or concerns about stuff I'm leaving out please feel free to share.

Last edited by Manson75; 08-05-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM

I'm thinking the flat top that would extend over the rear seats could be just a hinged board that would fold down and have legs to support it over the seats. This would save on size.

I'm wanting to build this myself instead of buying one because it will save me a heck of a lot of money and it'll be exactly what I want. Which is the same reason I've built my own speaker boxes and tv stands.

edit:

looked at how the rear seats fold down, and legs from would not be able to to go around the seat and reach the floor. The folded over seat does seam to be able to hold my weight though without any problem, so I may just have the top rest entirely on the back of the rear seat.

Last edited by Manson75; 08-05-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 PM

I don't have one but it looks sweet!! Definitely keep us posted on your progress.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:52 AM

the drawer system in waynes h3 is good for two people as he took the rear seats out

over here we have some systems

Attached Thumbnails Anyone Have a Drawer System?-dscf2012.jpg   Anyone Have a Drawer System?-dscf2013.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Are you going to be making this yourself? There are places here in NY that outfit EMS flycars and Police supervisor cars. Perhaps they might have something. They can either build or retrofit something that say is supposed to go in a Tahoe or Expedition.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Disregard my above post. Just saw your 2nd post where you said you want to build it yourself.
Here's something you may be interested in:
http://thorparts.com/CARGOKIT.aspx

It's a good base to start w/ if you're going to be taking out the rear seats. He supplies the hardware, you supply the wood/liner or whatever other material you have you may want to make the deck out of.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by JCA1981
Disregard my above post. Just saw your 2nd post where you said you want to build it yourself.
Here's something you may be interested in:
http://thorparts.com/CARGOKIT.aspx

It's a good base to start w/ if you're going to be taking out the rear seats. He supplies the hardware, you supply the wood/liner or whatever other material you have you may want to make the deck out of.
thanks for that link. not exactly what I'm wanting to do, but it's great seeing others' ideas to help me with my own. I had only thought of carpeting my flat top, but rhino lining looks pretty cool.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM

this was the cardboard concept I made up just to see how the large pieces would fit. My how it has changed in just a week.

Name:  45633_531222175872_153100430_31146710_5137106_n.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  32.1 KB

I've gotten the main pieces cut and put together, all that's left is the drawers, putting the sliders on for the sliding top on the right side(idea courtesy of this guy roadtripcrazed), and painting it black.

Name:  45948_531222520182_153100430_31146719_7703407_n.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  38.0 KB

I decided I'm not going to have sliders for the drawers because: they cut down on space, and they're expensive. So I'm just going to have drawers slide on bare wood. If I don't like it about $50 worth, I'll cut them down and add the sliders.

This project is fun, but it is taking a lot more time that expected. The plan is constantly changing because I'm finding out new parameters for my build. Such as the back door does not open up to a full 90* angle. So my sliding top for the cooler has been moved to the right side where the stove will also be going.

But when I'm done, this will be bad***. I'm the only H3 that I know of with this system.

Last edited by Manson75; 08-18-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 PM

I have had this Husky built drawer system for a couple of years now.
It proves so useful that i leave it bolted in permanately
It is ideal when camping, I can keep stuff that i need immediately and have stuff packed on it at the same time.
I put a piece of Elephant bark on the top of it to keep all things from sliding around.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone Have a Drawer System?-drawer-h3.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by wfturner
I have had this Husky built drawer system for a couple of years now.
It proves so useful that i leave it bolted in permanately
It is ideal when camping, I can keep stuff that i need immediately and have stuff packed on it at the same time.
I put a piece of Elephant bark on the top of it to keep all things from sliding around.
that looks good, almost factory, how much did it cost?

Quick Reply: Anyone Have a Drawer System?