PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have a brush guard that has the upper mounts too???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Default anyone have a brush guard that has the upper mounts too???

I've been looking for a brush guard to put on my H3...would like OEM, but not sure about the hollow construction of the vertical bars (black one). I have been looking at the OEM style one by Aries and a Military 1-piece by Steelcraft. BUT -- the steelcraft one has "upper mounts" .... small brackets that mount to the rad support thru the grille openings.

Anyone have one like this with the upper mounts in addition to the Tow Hook plates??? If so, do the upper mounts serve as compression members that add strength or do they just stop any road vibration??

Anyone have one that mounts just to the tow hook plates and has any vibration while driving???

Thanks for any response.

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO PISTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: anyone have a brush guard that has the upper mounts too???

I'll have to go look at the Alpha but not sure I want my grill guard mounted to the radiator supports.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:20 AM

Are you looking at the Steelcraft one that has an integrated winch mount? That's the only reason I can see for having additional support brackets.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 PM

You may be right about the winch mount application, but I could swear that I also saw a Steelcraft and an AutoXcessories squared off H2 style for the H3 that contained the "upper mounts".

Here is a link to the steelcraft winch mount instructions: http://www.steelcraftautomotive.com/...structions.pdf

I am leary about the upper mounts going to the rad support incase of a minor front end impact....this could mess up the door to front fender gaps (and possibleflush condition too)since the fender is bolted to the rad support in the front.

Anyone know how sturdy the OEM guard is??? Are the vertical bars hollow?? Is the tubing welded to the vertical bars or is it a "press fit"?????

Old 06-02-2008, 12:54 AM

ORIGINAL: joewcob3

Anyone know how sturdy the OEM guard is??? Are the vertical bars hollow?? Is the tubing welded to the vertical bars or is it a "press fit"?????
It's pretty sturdy for OEM. Theuprights have extra supports inside, they are not completely hollow. And everything is welded.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 PM

I have never hit anything with it, but I don't get any vibration in it either. Have had an OEM on all 3 that we have owned with no problems. Not real sure how "functional" they are other than to hold my HELLA'S . But ANYTHING up front has to be better than nothing. IMO

Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 PM

I have a bitchen one almost done with R&D it should be one of the strongest and most stablein the market. I will post pic's, it comes up over the hood a little bit and dropes down with SS pull pins like the H1 D-ring guards, it mounts to the tow hooks with 1.75" x 1" solid cold rolled steel, it also has light tabs.Let me know what you guys think. as far as the upper rad. mount I think it's a set up for disaster $$$$$

Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 PM

I wanna see pics of that!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 PM

If I had $2900 to spend, this would be it:
http://www.realwheelsacc.com/h3_304-2bp.html

Plus I would need another $800 for new bigger tires and another $400 for lights....that's too much $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I'm leaning about 90% toward the aries http://www.xccessory.com/aros-4078.html
and about 10% toward OEM. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:16 AM

ORIGINAL: magnumoffroad

I have a bitchen one almost done with R&D it should be one of the strongest and most stablein the market. I will post pic's, it comes up over the hood a little bit and dropes down with SS pull pins like the H1 D-ring guards, it mounts to the tow hooks with 1.75" x 1" solid cold rolled steel, it also has light tabs.Let me know what you guys think. as far as the upper rad. mount I think it's a set up for disaster $$$$$
If we tell you how ugly it is are you going to bash H3's like you did elsewhere?

Quick Reply: anyone have a brush guard that has the upper mounts too???