PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone baked opened the headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Default Anyone baked opened the headlights?

Im trying to retrofit projectors and after baking the headlights for about 15 min at 275 F, I can barely pry them open.

I've done this to several cars and it was a breeze. Looks like the H3 headlight seal is not silicone based but like super glue. Before I end up breaking the housing into pcs I stopped.

Anyone done this before???

Old 07-07-2012, 05:14 PM

There have been some (few) on the forum that have had projection HID's that use the stock halogen housing. The Retrofit Source uses such a procedure for their HID's and unless they chime in, your are on your own.
Personally, having to put your headlight housing in an oven to soften the factory sealant seems very strange to say the least.
Try a search for HID headlights with the Retrofit Source name in the search, it might help
Good luck

hoken-ranger did what you tried. He bragged about the lights and bragged about everything

Last edited by wfturner; 07-10-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Baking the headlights to soften the seal is the most common way to do so, just not working for the Hummer =[

Old 07-08-2012, 01:38 PM

1st post here, but my H3 is scheduled to be delivered on Friday. I have a set of HID projectors from TRS that I pulled out of my 2011 Camaro. My plan is to get them in the H3 ASAP. My going in game plan is to buy a spare set of headlights to work with (same thing I did on the Camaro). If you make any progress please let me know. I'll throw up a post once I get a crack at mine.

Cheers

Rob

Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4u33er
Im trying to retrofit projectors and after baking the headlights for about 15 min at 275 F, I can barely pry them open.

I've done this to several cars and it was a breeze. Looks like the H3 headlight seal is not silicone based but like super glue. Before I end up breaking the housing into pcs I stopped.

Anyone done this before???
Try, HID Planet
HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum - The Buzz

They talk allot about those retro fit HID's
Some of them even say the housings may need to soak in gasoline to loosen sealant, but it depends on other factors

Good luck

Last edited by wfturner; 07-09-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Supposedly the headlights are either butyl silicone seal or some type of epoxy seal.

In our case (well at least for 06 H3) its seems like its an epoxy type of seal therefor an oven will require baking for good 30 min which can cause melting to other parts of the lights.

So people recommend a heatgun and with an exacto knife. I'm going to try this method and post results.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 AM

The headlights on my CLK were pulled apart using the traditional bake method but back home when I did the same to my Z34 headlights I had to use a heat gun and get them very hot - seems that GM used (and apparently still does) a very strong sealant.

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 PM

I bought a heatgun from harbor freight, gonna see how that goes.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:26 AM

On my old H3 i installed a kit from TRS. They looked AMAZING once it was all finished but yes, baking the headlights and getting the housing to pull apart was a BIIIIIIIIIII***********HHHHH!!!! I cracked some parts and immediately super-glued back the chips. If i had a chance to do it all again i would deff buy some cheap housings off ebay that are NOT made by GM cause they use some monster glue that seems to act like concrete! On the new H2 i think imma just pay the $1k they go for so that i wont have to fight against GM's housings :0

Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 PM

Seriously look into getting the STARR HID complete housings. It's a complete projection housing, just install it and no heating of your stock headlights to mod anything. Watch for my build in a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Anyone baked opened the headlights?