PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Seize compound is great for side-step bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default Anti-Seize compound is great for side-step bolts

The side steps/nerf bars (whatever you call them) were on the truck for over a year before I took them off. The bolts were rusted to hell so I replaced them all with galvanized washers and bolts. The old bolts barely came off. It took me a good 45 minutes to get them out without stripping them or damaging the heads. After I went off-roading, I put them back on with the new bolts and Anti-Seize compound. which was roughy a couple of months ago.

Last night I removed them again, and it took me less then 10 minutes to take the bars off, more like 5. The bolts unscrewed flawlessly and the bars came off without a hitch. I have used this stuff before in the past but never with something like this where I would actually take the bars on and off regularly to go off-roading. I would suggest to anybody that has these that when you install them, go to Home Depot or any hardware store and buy yourself some stailness steel or galvanized bolts and washers to replace the standard cheapy ones that come with third-party steps, and use anti-seize compound and taking them off next time will be a breeze. I'm still not sure if I'm keeping them or not, but it makes the job so much easier and less time-consuming if you use this stuff. They sell it at most auto stores and some home-improvement stores as well.