PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another t bar and bilsteins thread for 2015

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Default Another t bar and bilsteins thread for 2015

Ok I did search, found old info, and many dead links as well as closed threads.

So I say this to not get to flamed for posting the same old same old.

But those threads was all from 2010 and older that I found.

In short what is the general consensus for max height before you start eating suspension compnent's up front?

First after reading old posts I cranked them 7 turns with the stock shocks. Got it to 24 inches.

Then I installed the bilsteins and the front end went to the moon!,

I had to back the t bars way out and lost count but I'm thinking I'm around 2. Turns up now and the front is the same as rear 23.5.

So my questions is obviously the bilsteins DO LIFT THE FRONT UP Some.

Anyone else notice this?

Also I did replace the bump stops or whatever you want to call them, jounce shocks, Gm calls them springs etc. I bought the trail duty 1/2 inch longer ones.

This was needed to stop the front end dive while braking. It rides very nice IMO and obviously better than stock. After 60k miles on my 06 h3 the factory rubber stops were smashed And blown apart.

I have read others have lifted the front by stock t bar keys over 25 inches? Is that a safe distance without hurting parts?

Ok a few questions and observations with my project, please comment if you have experience on the subject, Thank you In Advance for input.

Last edited by Lyns Hummy; 12-17-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:23 AM

1 shocks don't provide lift unless they are air shocks.
2 you want to stay under 23.5" from center of the half shaft nut to the bottom of the fender flare.
3 you MUST drive it and aggressively take off and stop to seat the t bars one adjusting them. It will take a few different times to get it right.

Plenty of threads on this very subject after 2010.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:23 AM

Ok thanks, I did look but hey I'm old and may have missed them.
Have a great holiday.

Last edited by Lyns Hummy; 12-18-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:09 PM

Don't get hung up on the number of turns. Every H3 is different.
Use the 23-1/2" measurement as your max, no matter how many turns it took to get there.
Most likely the number of turns will be different from side to side too.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:00 PM

forgot one!
4 Don't forget to get an alignment after you set it up the way you want it after a few days of driving. You will wear your tires pretty quickly if you went from stock to 23 1/2".

Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 AM
Default Bilsteins

As Tainter says, shocks do not provide lift. However, I wonder if by cranking the torsions 7 turns (wow!), you could have maxed out the travel of the stock shocks so that the Bilsteins simply allowed the extra height?

In any case, he's right; 23.5" center of hub to fender lip is your max target, followed by an alignment.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:17 PM

I just recently did this, and as the other members said, Don't count the turns because every truck is different. Measure from the center of the hub to the lip of the fender. Once you have reached your desired height, drive it and be careful because it will be out of alignment. Re check the height after driving it, it may settle, it may rise. Shocks will not increase your height. Get it aligned, my was way off. Enjoy it.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
As Tainter says, shocks do not provide lift. However, I wonder if by cranking the torsions 7 turns (wow!), you could have maxed out the travel of the stock shocks so that the Bilsteins simply allowed the extra height?

In any case, he's right; 23.5" center of hub to fender lip is your max target, followed by an alignment.
Yes I'm with you, after chewing the data for a day I realized that's exactly what happened.. Thank you for taking the time to express that.. Does not matter how smart or how much experience someone may have, even simple stuff can still make you go hmmm....

Old 12-22-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Paranormal
I just recently did this, and as the other members said, Don't count the turns because every truck is different. Measure from the center of the hub to the lip of the fender. Once you have reached your desired height, drive it and be careful because it will be out of alignment. Re check the height after driving it, it may settle, it may rise. Shocks will not increase your height. Get it aligned, my was way off. Enjoy it.
Thanks for taking the time as well, it's great to get others experience..

I'm pretty much done now, I'm just drivin it when I can till it settles then get the new tires on and align it. It looks much nicer leveled out for sure..

It did make it harder to reach under the hood.. I'm not short and I have a long reach, but I still needed a wood block to reach things I was able too before!!!

Merry Christmas everyone.. Be safe but have fun.. Denis

The Lyns hummy is about my mom, she wanted a hummer so we bought it for her. She passed away and we kept it. So far and after only 20 k miles it had the misfire issues. After 55k I got sick of it so we torn it down did all new valve seats and valves. To be honest nothing looked all that bad, but the misfire so far is gone..
Overkill yes, but once it was apart I went for it...