PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

amsoil synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Default amsoil synthetic

i've decided to switch to synthetic oil, just dont know which one. being doing some research and it seems amsoil may be the best product out there. is anybody using this and what do you think of it? also, what is the mileage interval your changing at? thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Default RE: amsoil synthetic

I won't say which is better, but:
Oils are divided into five groups:
Group I is not even manufactured in this day-and-age.
Group II is standard oil with the starburst symbol and in the past fifteen years has advanced to a great product that is highly refined and contains long lasting additives and group II esters. (Additives are what usually wear out first).
Group III is base petroleumoil that is highly refined via a process known as Hydrocracking. It is considered synthetic by the manufacturers and by the Federal Courts. (Back in the late 90s, Mobil sued some of the manufacturers of Group III stating that if PAOs were not used, it was not synthetic. The courts disagreed and Mobil lost.)
Group IV is true synthetic manufactured usingfrom polyalphaolefinstock and group IV esters. This PAO is man-made uniform molecular structures is isconsidered a true synthetic.
Group V is manufactured with Group V PAOs and esters, and is probably the best oil made. However, its primarily use is for air-cooled engines, extremely hot running engine and for aircraft applications (very hot, and you don't want a stall at 40K feet).

Last I read on internal documentation where I work is that Amsoil's group IV is the ASL brand. XLF is group III. Mobil 1 is a group IV and Redline is a group V.

Now, we don't test every oil out there, and except for saying what is group IV or V, I will not get into naming companies. But it has been noted that some (and only some) of the oil companies are barely producing group III synthetics. These companies are just doing the minimum hydrocracking to produce what can be called a group III synthetic oil.

For any vehicle, Amsoil ASL or Mobil 1 should be the best oil you will need. Also make sure to use a good oil filter such as K&N or Mobil 1.

I use Mobil 1, but honestly, I would use a known group II with no problem. The only reason I use Mobil 1 in my Hummer is that I have gallons of it due to owning Corvettes and running into a two for one sale a few years ago in TN and spending a couple hundred bucks. So, when I do an oil change now, I just use some of my stockpile vs. running out and spending money on more oil.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Wow, f5fstop that is great info I never put much thought into oil like that. I use Castrol Full Synthetic in my Hummer and a K&N filter. Mostly because of the availablity at your local Auto Zone, O'Rileys or even Wal-Mart for the Oil. Unless you know a AMSOIL rep. how hard would it be to get? is there that big a diff. between Castrol/Mobil 1 Synthetics and AMSOIL to really go through the trouble of getting it. Plus the Cost of the two, is it a big diff.?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Hey all, remember Amsoil is a forum sponsor, click their right banner link and check em out!!

Old 10-27-2007, 01:11 PM

bieng a sponsor of the forum you will get 10% OFF........just let them know you're a member here!!

Old 10-27-2007, 04:48 PM

From what I have seen at work, (who I work for tests almost all oils, especially since they have come out with the oil life monitoring system), and there is basically no difference between Amsoil Group IV or Mobil 1 Group IV(the new Mobil 1...they made for about a year, a Mobil 1 that had an additive problem). However, oil can be to some people like Chevy vs. Ford. From the testing I have seen, a group II, change per the idiot light, will keep the engine running for a long time, so a group III will be good too.
I explained why I use Mobil 1, but if I live in an extremely hot area year around (such as places in AZ) or extremely cold places (such as areas of AK), I would purposely use Mobil 1. If anything, for their flash point or their pour point qualities.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:45 PM

amsoil is the ****,bare none the best in my eyes

Old 10-30-2007, 11:39 PM

I have been using this oil since the first oil change. My friend who sells it said he changes the oil every 10000 miles on hid 4dr Ford dualie. He has been running id that way for 3 years. He does alot of cross country hauling of his military vehicles to shows. He has around 80000 miles on it. Sofar there are no ill effects. The company warrants the filter for 25000 miles with replacement (I believe) if engine damage occurs. I have 15000 miles and the thing runs great. In the winter, the warm-up is much faster, and smooth. GET THE STUFF!!!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 01:20 AM

I knew you had to have a Synthetic oil thread. Its the age aold argument who is the Best. I tend to lean to the brands that I have used and compare specs. Here is a list of what I know of, ** are the ones I have used. You can compare numbers, but the hardest is to find tests other than the Amsoil Comparisons.
I tend to lean towards what the NHRA uses because I figure if the Oil Companies develop an Oil for a 8000 Hp Nitro-Methane engine they have done there Homework.

Redline **
Torco
Lucas
NEO **
Pure Power
Maxtron
Amsoil
Royale Purple **
Motul
TS-1
Mobil 1 **
Pennzoil
Quaker State

Old 11-24-2007, 05:12 PM

I use Amsoil I will be changing once a year or 25000 miles, Click on the link talk to Dave Mann, He really knows his **** about motor oil, I am a dealer for him.

Quick Reply: amsoil synthetic