PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpha Engine Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Default Alpha Engine Conversion

Hey folks, new here. I just purchased an H1 alpha after trading in my '08 H2 Adventure... I am an avid survivalist and I don't trust computer components that control my vehicles.. I would like to convert my alpha's engine/transmission into a completely mechanically driven powertrain without any computer systems controlling the basic operations of the vehicle.. It has a 6.6L Duramax which is a strong engine, but I don't like the simple fact that it's basically hardwired into the PCM/ECM computer system. I was thinking maybe about switching out the 6.6L Duramax to the 6.5L naturally aspirated or turbo diesel... I'm also not sure if the 6.5 Turbo diesel requires a PCM (something that I can't seem to find info on, but i've seen mechanically driven waste gates/regulators) I pretty much want the best and most reliable engine out there with the same or very close to the power of the 6.6L but without the requirement of an PCM/ECM computer components..

I've been looking at the engines here: http://dieseldepot.com/re_home.html

Thanks Guys!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM

the 6.5's waste gate is vaccum actuated. but the engine is computer controlled, well at least the injector pump is. Im not positive about the tranny. but seriously man. the 6.5 is a good motor, but stay with the Dirtymax. it is worlds ahead of the 6.5 you wont like the differance. ill trade you straight up for mine if ya want. haha. new turbo, inj. pump, water pump, PMD with heat sink, and all other kinds of goodies haha

Old 02-07-2011, 01:51 AM

So how would I go about basically ripping out the PCM and totally replacing all of the PCM-driven electronic stuff with mechanical components? Is there a way to do it? I have a pretty decent budget to accomplish it...

Old 04-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Shield your garage, cheaper and easier.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Don't screw up an Alpha. Buy a 92-95 6.5 NA diesel truck. That will suit your needs perfectly and probably be cheaper than what you are contemplating.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
sea
Thumbs down

No disrespect but it sounds like you have more money then brains!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Turn your garage into a faraday cage, this is far cheaper.

From a reliability and end of the world scenario standpoint, you're far better off having a somewhat stock vehicle. It's going to be easier to scavenge small rare parts off another vehicle like yours than try to find parts for the unique one of a kind butterfly you're intending to build. I'm guaranteeing what you want to do is going to at least take some kind of custom fabrication work, what happens if something goes wrong with that, are you going to machine or weld a replacement?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:07 PM
sea
Default sorry

Had to say that....But I assume that since you are a survivalist, your worried that if we are attacked by terrorist,with EMP bombs or where hit by solar flares, or we have a civil war and the enemy has EMP weapons, that the electronic controls will be affected.

I thank that no matter what engine you chose there will be some electrical controls involved. At least in the lift pump.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Most of the forum members probably have a go bag and a plan/place to go. Not sure how many would describe themselves as full-fledged survivalists. My 92 has a 6.2 NA diesel motor and the 94 has a 6.5 NA diesel motor. Neither is electronically controlled. No ECM/PCM/PMD etc. Everything is mechanical. These trucks will take you anywhere you want to go. You can buy them in the 30-35K range. I would imagine that you would spend more doing the conversion your are talking about. H1 Alphas are selling in the 120-130K range right now. Sell the Alpha, buy a 94-95 NA truck and put 100K in the bank or keep it and for what you were going to spend on the conversion you can have a second bug out truck.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM
sea

Since you have a 100,000 dollar hummer, sell it and buy a M998 and have what ever you want done to it. I am sure an older 12 valve cummins would be a better choice then a GM engine.

I have actually thought about the possibility of having a ranch somewhere and producing my own biodiesel using blue green algae, and having a few non electronic diesels just in case we do have some kind of catastrophy. Have been looking to buy some old Mercedes diesls for that purpose and M988's. But I am not that rich yet, and I believe that even the oldest mercdeses such as the w115 has a electric fuel lift pump which would be fried by an EMP.

Quick Reply: Alpha Engine Conversion