PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpha ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Default RE: Alpha ?

ORIGINAL: jman_in_minnesota

i'm probably going to trade mine in for an Alpha or an H2 (if the thing will have clearance in my condo garage)

Just a little tired of having to plan ahead in my mind when I pass on the highway.

We'll see how the test drives go on Monday.

You will definitely find it more driveable, but not necessarily a lot faster. The 0-60 time is only a second less with the Alpha. Is it worth the extra cost? I didn't think so. The H2 is not a great option if speed is what you are after. The regular H3 is the fastest Hummer despite its 3.5. Now, if you put an H2 drivetrain in an H3, then we're talkin'

Old 11-09-2007, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: silicone boy

New poster here. I test drove an Alpha the other day, and while it was a little more responsive than the I5, it was not a whole lot more powerful, certainly not worth the extra money. It needs about 30-40 horsepower. In other words it need a 6.0 liter or a supercharger. Personally, I will be ripping out my inline 5 and putting an H2 drivetrain in. It will cost me a lot less and I'll be happier. BTW, as a motorhead, I am impressed with the I5. Lots of torque for its size and decent fuel economy. The main problem is the tranny, which likes to shift at the wrong time. Definitely set up for fuel economy. I never feel that there is shortage of power incity driving. Driving up to the mountains is another matter because of the stupid shift points on the tranny. That can be changed though.
please post your build w/pics. i seen one w/ a 6.0l in it on ebay like 6months ago. but i think i may go w/ a turbo setup and have my shift points changed like you said. i believe 300-350hp would make this thing come alive on the street or trail.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 AM

Alpha is about 300hp, so if for some odd reason you're in the 1% that want to drag race this rig, you can test drive one of them to see if that is enough HP for ya.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:47 AM

ORIGINAL: CCMDoc

ORIGINAL: jbb6811

Really thinking of trading mine for new Alpha. Anyone here thats had both and can tell
what they like or dislike from one to the other.

whats the new upgrades? other than the V8.......mpg? safety locks? controls(radios etc.)

only thing i've seen i don't like is i can't get it in superior blue like my 06.

thanks Brandon
Yes the Alpha is a bit quicker, butsome of the "feeling" of power is from the sound of the V8 vs. that of the I5.

From all the reviews I have heard I am still content with my I5 ( I have not drove an alpha yet) . I just wanted to add something about the comment about the sound....I just put a Gibson catback on my 06 I5 and it does make a difference, I dont know if it's the sound or few extra HP but it seems like a whole nother beast with it....I'm sure it's a little of both...but either way it's a difference that's good and makes the truck much more beastly[sm=gears.gif]

Old 11-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

mfish; have you done the PCMforless tune??? That will grow some ***** on your truck. W/ your CAT back system, you be set up!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

mfish; have you done the PCMforless tune??? That will grow some ***** on your truck. W/ your CAT back system, you be set up!!!
No I haven't done the PCM yet but I hear good things about it...it's on the list but before that I need to get me a K&N to unplug the other end.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: NJTEX

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

The Alpha and its V8 is better, but costs a hellava lot more. My I5 can hold its own and I do not trailer anything heavyfor very far.

We have a search feature for the forums Check out this RE: Alpha vs. I5 and bunches more.
Theproblem with theI5 is not theI5 but the fact that there was no V8 option whenH3 launchedwith '06.
Exactly! The decision not to offer a V8 option at product launch was a mistake, IMHO. Driven the Alpha and it makes the H3 more refined and accomplished SUV. The real question is ...the Alpha worth $4k more than a similar equiped H3? I think I would rather have a 2008 H2 (GMS priced)...the updates on it are very, very good.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:48 AM

I have not had the opportunity to drivean I5 H3 but I have had my Alpha for a couple of weeks now. I'm still in the 500 mile break-in period so I haven't done any WOT or high speed driving yet. However, in my daily commute, I cover several miles if highway and have had the need to pass other cars. Just a touch of the throttle, mindful of the break-in, and I can squirt past cars effortlessly. I don't think there are any issues with power/torque on the Alpha after spending 2 weeks with it. I actually was not considering the H3 until I found out GM was dropping a V8 in it. Really glad I went for a test drive.

I sold my daily driver '03 Mustang GT a few months ago and started driving Mrs. Patches' '02PT Cruiser to work and, believe me, that thing couldn't get out of its own way, much less keep up with the Alpha. I finally sold it last night. I replaced Mrs. Patches' PT with a low-miles '02 auto Corvette coupe very much like mine, although mine is pushing 500 crank hp. So I'm accustomed to fast cars and the Alpha is fine power-wise. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. In fact, the Grand Cherokee SRT8 was on my short list when I was making my final decision but I crossed it off when I realized you can't take it offroad or even tow with it.I looked at and drove the FJ Cruiser and TrailBlazer SS and both had flaws I was not willing to put up with as well. The TB SS is fast and you can use it as a 4-wheeler to a degree but the trannies are gaining a reputation for failure. The FJ seemed like a kid's SUV appearance-wise and had zero room in the back seat. I considered several others as well but, IMHO, none had a big enough helping of all the factors that the H3 Alpha does including capability, quality, looks and value.

One other factor I considered was that I tune the PCM in my Corvettes with dedicated hardware and software and those software packages can read and edit the H3 PCM so I figured I can add certain mods and tune for them as they become available.

Also, the gas mileage on th Alpha is surprisingly good - folks are pleasantly surprised when I tell them how it's rated. Plus the vehicle is so damn cool - everyone wants to talk to me about it. [sm=smiley16.gif]

Name:  H3Alpha9a.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  62.8 KB

Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 AM

GMS on an H2 is exactly what I'm thinking of doing

Old 11-12-2007, 06:27 PM

Test drove a 2007 H2 and an H3 Alpha today...thinking i'm going to go with the Alpha. I like the H2 but it didn't pack as much realized punch as the Alpha (coming from a 3.5L I5). I guess after thinking about it for awhile I really didn't want to give up the H3, just wanted more power, and that is exactly what I can get. It was nice to compare to another model in the fleet. H2s do look damn cool tho hehe