PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

AirCon Recirc Glitch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Default AirCon Recirc Glitch?

Anyone notice whether or not the aircon compressor is on when you select recirc mode with aircon NOT selected? Mine is and the yellow "compressor on" indicator is not illuminated.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Default RE: AirCon Recirc Glitch?

If you have your vent control knobby turned to full defrost, the Compresser will run.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:41 PM

True but not the question.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: gad13

True but not the question.

Then you have a problem...It shouldn't run the A/C compressor

Old 04-28-2006, 01:45 AM

Dennis...

Thanks for the replies.
I spoke to the local service manager today who seemed like an informed guy.
He stated that they would never allow the recirc function w/o the compressor.

I find it hard to swallow.
What is your knowledge base and do you have any technical data to offer?

Thanks... GD

Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 AM

Hey GD..

I stand humbly corrected..I wouldn't have believed it either, but evidently this is a design idiosyncrasy of GM..Mine too comes on when JUST the recirculate button is pushed on...I can see some sense in that feature though..In that, it will keep the cabin from steaming up, as no outside air is entering....Especially important in the winter..But Like I said " who would've thunk?"...I'm use to European and Japanese cars I guess, where they leave it up to the driver to determine if the compressor runs or not on ANY type of vent configuration....Oh well, live and learn...Thanks for pointing that out..Otherwise I probably would have never noticed.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:08 AM

Dennis...

I certainly would not have thunk it.

I've got one more for you:
Does the temp controller simply bleed in heat or does it modulate the compressor as well?

Regards... GD

Old 04-28-2006, 01:49 PM

Now that one I'm pretty sure of, that it controls a damper to the heater matrix...More heat = open wider..But does not control the compressor directly...There is a thermostat set at about 35 degrees physically on the A/C evaporator coils, that will control the cycling of the compressor.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Hey GD..

I stand humbly corrected..I wouldn't have believed it either, but evidently this is a design idiosyncrasy of GM..Mine too comes on when JUST the recirculate button is pushed on...I can see some sense in that feature though..In that, it will keep the cabin from steaming up, as no outside air is entering....Especially important in the winter..But Like I said " who would've thunk?"...I'm use to European and Japanese cars I guess, where they leave it up to the driver to determine if the compressor runs or not on ANY type of vent configuration....Oh well, live and learn...Thanks for pointing that out..Otherwise I probably would have never noticed.
It's not just GM. MB does this too and you're correct, the compressor runs during recirculation mode to keep the windows from steaming up. It's actually a safety feature.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Benz is now doing theirs like that too?..I guess times are changing..I had a '92 300E for 12 years...It didn't override the A/C with the recirculate feature...I guess back then Daimler-Benz realised people were still smart enough to know when to turn on the A/C when the windows needed de-fogging.

Quick Reply: AirCon Recirc Glitch?