PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Airbox & check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Default Airbox & check engine light

Okay so I had a broken 2007 H-3 air box and the Check Engine Light came onwith code P0171-mix to lean bank 1, so I thought it a good idea to purchase andinstall a Volant Cold air intake and a Jet Performance MAS, (which was cheaperthan purchasing an OEM air box). Rightafter installing my check engine light came back on and basically stayed on, aftera while I bought a code breaker and continued to erase the code myself. After amonth I got tired of it and took it to my GM Dealer and after 4 hours oftesting I was informed that my ECM was just too sensitive to accept the CAI andthat I should return it to OEM specs, (some 3.7CID engines are more sensative than others, and I have 133K miles on it), which I have done after fixing theoriginal air box as best I could. Guess what? No more check engine light! So Ihave basically a brand new Volant CAI for a 2007 H-3 base, and I am willing to sellor trade for an OEM air box if anyone is interested in a trade, or perhaps someadditional advice. The Volant CAI looks brand new and I have all the hoses andclamps including the MAS gasket. Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Your GM dealer is full of BS. We have sold 1000s of our H367 and H308 Intakes for LLR 3.7Ls and I myself have been running one on my truck for 6 years, never a CEL. The H3 responds well to a performance intake.

I moved this for you to the proper forum.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Default Airbox and H3

Thanks for the comeback, and thanks for moving the post. So the check engine light came back on, with that do you have any suggestions as to a possible fix? I heard of replacing the Oxygen sensor, and or cleaning the fuel injectors. Especially as you have stated that the airbox is NOT the issue. at 80K I replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the fuel injectors.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Humm-V
Thanks for the comeback, and thanks for moving the post. So the check engine light came back on, with that do you have any suggestions as to a possible fix? I heard of replacing the Oxygen sensor, and or cleaning the fuel injectors. Especially as you have stated that the airbox is NOT the issue. at 80K I replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the fuel injectors.
Is the code still the same for the CEL? If it is the same P0171, do the easy stuff first by cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner, look for an intake/vacuum leak before and after the Throttle Body (intake manifold bolts are known to become loose on these motors after a while).

If you cannot find any intake leak then make sure your do not have an exhaust leak (cracked manifold or broken exhaust manifold bolt(s).

After that look at the O2 sensor and fuel injectors. You can put the truck on a scanner and see what the O2 sensor is doing that can be a real good clue that it is dirty or just bad.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 PM

If you still have that Jet "thingy" in there remove it and replace it with the OEM MAF.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Thanks, I re-installed the OEM MAS, currently no CEL and will have the Fuel injectors cleaned. I still have the like new Volant CAI for trade with an OEM 2007 H-3 Airbox with cover.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:50 PM

I have a stock(OEM) air box from my 07 H3. its a 3.7 liter. I am interested in trading for your cold air intake and your jet mass air sensor. let me know, and what is the part numbers for the intake and sensor.Thanks

Old 05-02-2014, 09:38 PM

Great Ill get the part numbers and get back to you. I know it is the Jet Performance MAS and the Volant/With Filter CAI for the 3.7 liter.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:47 PM

By the by regarding the CEL I've had the fuel injectors cleaned, next is the sparkplugs, then the o2 sensors, I do not seem to have any vaccum or other leaks. The light still does come on, just not as often and seems to idle better.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Default trade

I am still interested in trading my oem airbox and sensor for intake and sensor. Let me know.Thanks