PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Air ride levels on 2004 Hummer H2

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Default Air ride levels on 2004 Hummer H2

Hi, I am new to this Hummer forum, so thank you for having me. I just purchased a 2004 Hummer H2. Every time I get out of the vehicle it sounds like the air compressor that pumps air into the suspension, from the rear is running. It usually pumps about four times. You really can't tell if its sitting low from looking at it, the only reason I know is I can hear the pump pumping so I went out and measured the distance from the ground to the top of the wheel well and the rear is down about 3/4 of an inch while the truck is not running. I'm sure this is not normal, or is it ? and if not, I guess my question is, is there a way to test it to see if it is leaking and find a leak ?
Is there anything else particular to the Hummers I should know. I never owned a Hummer before and I have found it to be a bit puzzling. Pull this, lift that, just to make things work. LOL for instance I believe you have to put down the driver side rear seat before the passenger side rear seat can go down or vice versa. maybe im wrong, and the head rest seem to stick and do not want to flip back very easy. I have greased all the cables and they seem to be in great shape. The Hummer is beautiful and does not appear to ever been off-road.
Thank you very much to anybody who can give me some advice. Sincerely, Ted
Happy Holidays

Old 12-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Uh, I never messed around much with flipping those back seats down. I put one of the Rockford Fosgate 10" sub boxes under the seat and unless I take it out, the seat only goes partially down. Thats odd the headrests stick like they do, mine flip back like gangbusters; I guess it's just a quirk with your 2.
As for air ride, you'd have to start spraying soapy water on the fittings and around the bags to find anything out of the ordinary. It shouldn't lower when parked, but I know mine spend alot of time making noise back there when I start the truck and when I'm sitting idling in it. Just seems to be how the system works.
You're going to love the deuce, I've put about 25,000 miles on ours since we've had it (under 2 years).
Welcome to the forums, post up any tricks you come up with to work thru this stuff.
BTW--you don't have to close your post with "sincerely", we'll take your word that you're being sincere!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:09 PM

My 04 H2 does not have air ride so I cannot comment there, however, my rear seats go down and up in any order. I had just the passenger seat down the other day and have had just the driver seat down as well.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Default Thanks for your replies

Thanks for your reply. I am really not too concerned about the seats. They're a bit of an inconvenience but I can live with it. The longer I own the truck the more I'm finding out the little quirks it has. It was cold here in Tampa Florida last night so I had the heat on. Apparently the driver side heat works but the passenger side just blows out cold air. I had it on auto at 90° for both sides and it would only get cold air out of the passenger side. ????
And back to the air ride it is very weird every time I get out of the vehicle I can hear the rear end of the truck pumping up air. It does about the same every time, 4 pumps. It almost sounds like a blood pressure cuff. Maybe this is normal. Any thoughts ? Thanks and happy new year everyone.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 AM

For the airride it always goes on when you get out and close the door so it can level out. but yours might have a leak because i don't think it suppose to go lower and the seats they should go down in any order.

Last edited by luda81; 12-30-2011 at 08:57 AM.