PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Aftermarket stereo. Will it be a nightmare?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Default Aftermarket stereo. Will it be a nightmare?

So I need an aftermarket stereo. Nothing fancy but bluetooth ready, USB port that charges, no cd just a receiver. I would buy a wire harness with it. So after wiring it to stereo, all I need to do is plug it into the stock wiring. Now this approach has worked great in the past for me, on normal cars. But the 2006 h3 is far from normal. The electrical system is so touchy, I'm afraid of could happen. Disconnecting the battery took out my heater. Leaving my phone charger plugged in leaves me unable to use alarm and remote entry. It threatens a robot nervous breakdown if you look at it wrong.

So, who's done it? What's your experience? Anything special I need to know? Battery cable rituals?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:27 PM

no battery cable rituals, other than disconnect them while you work (unless youre using stock connections, then your FIRST step is replace with a better after market set).

Theres an adapter that youll have to buy, any decent stereo shop will have one. Mine ran me about 120, but its gotta be there. So you'll need the wire harness, dash kit, and this special adapter (forgive me, I cant remember its official name, but again, a decent stereo shop will know what it is and tell you all about it.) Other than that, its just as straight forward as every other stereo install youve done.

Good luck.

Edit: Its some sort of security adapter that lets the BCM know that the stereo hasn't been stolen. If you try to just wire in a new head unit, the BCM freaks out and causes trouble. So you need this adapter to communicate between the aftermarket head unit and the BCM,

Last edited by CurtisP87; 03-10-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:48 PM

I just replaced the stereo in my 07 H3. Ordered it from Crutchfield and it came with all the necessary adaptors. The wiring interface was $49.99(half price with stereo). It was a little intimidating at first but followed the directions and googled a few things and it wasn't that bad. After that it was pretty much plug and play.