PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Lockers for Independent suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Default After Market Lockers for Independent suspension

Okay I've checked all over the forums and have found references to but no clear answers on Lockers. So here it goes I'm the new owner of a 2008 H3 Alpha Lux. Without the Adventure package. I'm considering putting in front and rear ARB lockers.

The Hummer has independent suspension (IS) as apposed to the solid axles I've had in the past. Does a Locker provide a significant advantage offroading in an IS vehicle.

Will the stock parts be sufficient for a front locker or were modifacations made in the 09-10 H3?

To the best of my knowledge the gearing is different in the Adventure package vehicles as well. Will this pose a problem for the lockers or 4 wheeling capability?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by climbnh
Okay I've checked all over the forums and have found references to but no clear answers on Lockers. So here it goes I'm the new owner of a 2008 H3 Alpha Lux. Without the Adventure package. I'm considering putting in front and rear ARB lockers.

The Hummer has independent suspension (IS) as apposed to the solid axles I've had in the past. Does a Locker provide a significant advantage offroading in an IS vehicle.

Will the stock parts be sufficient for a front locker or were modifacations made in the 09-10 H3?

To the best of my knowledge the gearing is different in the Adventure package vehicles as well. Will this pose a problem for the lockers or 4 wheeling capability?
Any HUMMER H3/H3T (06-10) will have an Aluminum Front Diff w/o the Adventure packge unless it is an Alpha (All Alphas came with the Cast Iron Front Diff). The Adventure package also came with a 4:1 transfer case. All I5s have 4:56 gears front and rear. Alphas have 4:10 gears.

YES, there is a singnificant advantage to having a front locker in certian situations OffRoad. Even more so than with a solid axle due to the fact that it does not have the same articulation in the front as most solid axles do. So you are suspended on 3 wheels more.

I would NOT put a locker in the front if you do not get a Cast Iron front diff. The Aluminum front diff has deflection issues when used hard OffRoad.

If you wish to get a Cast Iron front diff contact Brodie: sales@ridgedemon.com

Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 AM

So with that being said Tainter. The fact that I have an H3 Alpha means I have the cast Iron diffs front and rear as well as 4.10gear ratios. So the addition of Lockers will be no different than the Adventure Package Locker set up save I'm using ARB instead of Eaton?

I've also looked for the difference in the suspension. One site said the springs are 33% stiffer or higher spring rate torsions and I haven't seen the difference in shocks. What does the adventure suspension have that an Alpha model doesn't?

Here is a good article to reference how lockers work as well to anyone that has questions about them.
Adventure suspension Q's - Page 2 - GM Hummer Boards

Old 04-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Adventure = Larger piston shocks w/ slightly stiffer valving + locker. 2006/08 had rear lockers only, 2009/10 have front and rear. That is it.

I'd make sure you have good off road tires long before adding a locker or lockers.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Doc- just read your post. The words 'off road' are green and double underlined, and when you pass your cursor over them, you get a pop-up, and then your 'back button' stops working. I started a thread a few days ago about this, wondering if we have a new spam problem. Any ideas?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

It is an ad popper through the site which in my limited powers I cannot control. I suppose somehow that vibrant crap could get onto your computer, it is harmless and has a straight forward removal through "add/remove programs".

Anyways, to stop that crap open IE, click on tools, internet options, click the security tab and highlight restricted sites. Click on the sites button below it and on the add this site to the zone: enter this just as it look's, copy & paste it:

*.us.intellitxt.com

Then restart internet explorer, work's great for me.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Here is another way I found:

Usually all these ads will be having a privacy option attached. You can go to the respective sites from help/question mark in the ads and disable the VIbrant. I have done this and is working for me.

eg:

Step 1: goto Vibrant - The Leaders of Contextual and In-Text Advertising
Step 2: goto the tab Disable.
Step 3: click the link.

As many companies are providing these types of ads you may need to disable this with specific sites/specific browsers.

Disclaimer:

The information provided here is as of my basic information. I am not sure about the after effects if any. Try it at your own risk.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by climbnh
So with that being said Tainter. The fact that I have an H3 Alpha means I have the cast Iron diffs front and rear as well as 4.10gear ratios. So the addition of Lockers will be no different than the Adventure Package Locker set up save I'm using ARB instead of Eaton?

I've also looked for the difference in the suspension. One site said the springs are 33% stiffer or higher spring rate torsions and I haven't seen the difference in shocks. What does the adventure suspension have that an Alpha model doesn't?

Here is a good article to reference how lockers work as well to anyone that has questions about them.
Adventure suspension Q's - Page 2 - GM Hummer Boards
climbnh: Heck, I didn't know you had an Alpha. YES, you can put the ARB locker in the front Cast Iron diff. I personally will be going with the Eaton due to the winter wheeling climate here in MI. I don't want to mess with a compressor, air lines and the electrical involved with an ARB setup. also moisture in the lines can freeze easily here in MI. I'd rather have an e-locker and only deal with the electrical connections to the switch and then to the locker. But that is my personal decision.

The rear diff is the same 10bolt that comes with every other H3/H3T. Alpha Torsion bars are stiffer due to the weight of the V8. No difference between the OffRoad and non-OffRoad. As Doc mentioned they have different shocks in the Adventure/OffRoad. The bigest difference will be the 4:1 Transfercase. I believe it is the single most important part of the Adventure/OffRoad package.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:52 PM

So would an 08 Adventure have a cast iron front diff? I couldn't tell for sure from the way you worded your post. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by midwest
So would an 08 Adventure have a cast iron front diff? I couldn't tell for sure from the way you worded your post. Thanks.
NO, if you have an 08 Alpha (ALL Alphas 08-10 have the Cast Iron Front Diff. regardless of the OffRoad option or not) you will have the cast iron front diff. 06-08 I5s regardless of the Adventure package or not will have the Alum. front diff. Not until 09-10 will the I5s have a Cast Iron front diff. and ONLY on the Adventure package equipped H3/H3Ts.

Quick Reply: After Market Lockers for Independent suspension