PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adventure package question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Default Adventure package question....

Do adventure package H3's sit more level from the factory than the base models?

I know there are some suspension differences, but do those differences alleviate that front to rear rake?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Default RE: Adventure package question....

The "rake" is about the same.

You can easily crank up the torsion bars and raise the front end an inch or so.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Gunner; the Adventure has the hot rod RAKE to it, pretty much like the others. At 5,200 miles, I measured it up and it too, was 7/16" low on the driver side in the front?? So they all do it. [:@] Adjusted across the front first, and about one turn toboth sides after that. Front is just a tad lower than the rear and I like it. I posted a pic in the "splashguard" thread. If ya want to take a peak. When my wallet recovers from the PCM etc... I'll be looking hard at those Bilstein Cognitos

Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 AM

The "rake" may be there so when fully loaded the truck will be level?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Desert Dan
The "rake" may be there so when fully loaded the truck will be level?
Yeah...That was the "Official" reason I was given as well...............I had also been told that
because the suspension (shocks I assume) was geared more to off-roading,the "front to
rear" rake was not there or at least not as noticeable. Haven't been able to verify it myself,
hence my question.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Alright you guys. As far as I understand it, the Adventure pkg has an "off-road suspension" set up???!!! What do this mean? We all know about the rear diff. locker and the 33" tires. I read up on it in some press release and H3 advertising brochures (now there's a source of accuracy for you) and that really means my adventure shocks are a wee bit stiffer than the base or lux. Whoopie do da diddy TheT bars and spring rates are the same far as everything I can see.[sm=smiley23.gif]

I have also hauled three loads of Canadian Flag Stone from a landscape supplier, 660#, 750#, and last 890#, to home. Made my 3 sit level, the butt end did not squat lower. That is why I did not T bar lift the front to exactly even with the rear. Now, on my way back here from the north end of the county today, I swung thru the Hummer dealer, and all of the Adventures, Base and Lux looked almost the same. The tire size differences do deceive a bit. I could also see a few were noticeably lower on the driver side. Why doesn't the dealer square em up as part of prep????

Shocks do not lift, they just firm up the dampening. More fodder to digest

Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 PM

Actually some high pressure (300psi each)REAR gas shocks can provide spring rate assistance and minor lift. For instance, I swapped my rear H2 OEM shocks for Rancho 9000s and lost 1/2 - 3/4" in rear height. The H3 rear shocks are also probably high pressure charged on the H3, but may not make as much difference in ride height as they dont have the soft rear coil springs like the H2. (please keep in mind my H2 does not have rear air suspension so the back is not auto-leveling)

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Alright you guys. As far as I understand it, the Adventure pkg has an "off-road suspension" set up???!!! What do this mean? We all know about the rear diff. locker and the 33" tires. I read up on it in some press release and H3 advertising brochures (now there's a source of accuracy for you) and that really means my adventure shocks are a wee bit stiffer than the base or lux. Whoopie do da diddy TheT bars and spring rates are the same far as everything I can see.[sm=smiley23.gif]

I have also hauled three loads of Canadian Flag Stone from a landscape supplier, 660#, 750#, and last 890#, to home. Made my 3 sit level, the butt end did not squat lower. That is why I did not T bar lift the front to exactly even with the rear. Now, on my way back here from the north end of the county today, I swung thru the Hummer dealer, and all of the Adventures, Base and Lux looked almost the same. The tire size differences do deceive a bit. I could also see a few were noticeably lower on the driver side. Why doesn't the dealer square em up as part of prep????

Shocks do not lift, they just firm up the dampening. More fodder to digest

Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, both sets of stock H3 shocks are pressurized. I was just trying to point out that the Adventure has stiffer (probably more pressure) shocks than the Base/Lux. Was that intended to be a lifting mechanism to make the Adventure sit higher? No, the 33" tires make the extra ground clearence, not the shocks.

However, a pressurized shock does push up on the vehicle, so it can provide some nominal lift.A comparison between a pressurized set, and nonpressurized set of shocks,may show agreater difference for sure. I do not know what the gas pressure of the H3 shocks are?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:38 PM

I actually checked several adventure pkg H3's today....They all have "The Rake" to varying degrees........

The only difference between them and a base model is the visual trickery done by mounting 33's.

and......they all have some amount of disproportionate Z-Line measurement "The Lean".....

No big deal....Just let 'em break in and get everything adjusted and aligned prior to 7 g's....

I was simply curious since my personal rig was a base model.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 PM

doc, you are correct the adventure shocks are stiffer and has a little bigger overall diameter tube. The rest of the suspension is identical and interchangeable. A guy down the street from me just put these air bag shock things on....reallllllllyyyyyyy nice ride...I may try them myself one of these days.

Quick Reply: Adventure package question....