PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actron OBDII Autoscanner

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default Actron OBDII Autoscanner

I bought this unit this weekend to help my friend troubleshoot his 2000 Ford Explorer (ok, I used it as an excuse) We split the cost. Check it out:

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16309

AutoZone sells it for $149. It's definitely worth the money. The code database is built right into the unit, so you don't have to go searching for the codes. It automatically detects what the make of the car is so you don't have to mess around telling it everything. You just plug it in, select Read Codes, wait 15 seconds, and wallah. It told us exactly what was wrong (IAC valve), took the throttle body and IAC valve off, cleaned it, re-installed it, erased the error codes and turned the Check Engine light off, runs like NEW.

Also, after your car runs for 10 to 15 minutes, it does a diagnostics of your entire emissions control system and tells you if everything is OK or having problems. I did the research before I bought this. There are other cheaper and more expensive items, but this one seems to be the best for the money. Also, you can upgrade the software on the device using a PC, and if you put a 9V battery on it, you can save the codes and test information. I definintely recommend it to anybody that is a do-it-yourself-er but doesn't want to spend the money to buy one of those more expensive units, or use a laptop.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Default RE: Actron OBDII Autoscanner

I agree, it does work well.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Maybe you can velcro that to your dash

Old 03-05-2007, 05:15 AM

Hello Hummerguy,

I just joined this forum this evening in the hopes of finding out if anyone knew where to get diagnostic software for a 2002 Hummer H1. You mentioned that you used it on a Ford, but also mentioned that it autodetected the vehicle type. Do you know if this software will work on my Hummer.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Steve

P.S. Not having used this forum before, I am not sure if your reply will be listed only on this web site, or if it will also go to my email. FYI, the email address is ak_fairbanks@yahoo.com.

Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:22 AM

Every vehicle that is 1996 or newer is OBD II and uses the same software to pull codes.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hi. The scanner works on any car with a OBDII connection as Blackstang said. I have used it on 3 different brands so far and it has worked perfectly on all of them. I have no doubt it will work on your H1!