PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to be a Hummer Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Default About to be a Hummer Owner

The wife has given methe go aheadto buy me a new day to day driver and I am thinking I might try a Hummer but do have some questions and concerns.

1. Is it true that the Hummer H2 is Juts a chopped up chevy truck chassis?
2. I know it has the Chevy motor in it but what kind of milage doe sthis thing get? I am not overly concerned about it but would like to know some real world facts.

I am debating to myslef between the H1 and the H2. I have no desire for the H3 as it just looks like a Jeep on roids..

Please do not be offended by any of this just some honest straight forward questions..

Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Default RE: About to be a Hummer Owner

its true the h2 has a chevy tahoe and suburban chassis welded together to create a strong chassis for the h2 but other than that its more of a hummer than a GM car , the h1 has a bolted chassis. my h2 depending on the driving condition with an aftermarket CAI get between 12.5- 19 miles a gllon on the average readout. if you want more information go to the hi or h2 forum links or general hummer talk and you will find all the informations you need concerning problems and milage.

BTW dont forget to post pictures of the truck once you get it

Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

I'll have you know my 3 is not on roids, it has never played professional baseball, WWF,and does not lift weights. Welcome. Have you considered an H3 Alpha w/ v8? [8D]

Test drive a 2 and tell us what you think. Please.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:55 PM

Are you going offroading? Buy a Hummer if it is going to see some dirt/mud in the near future, if you want a truck that is only going to see payment and has high gas mileage than maybe you better look elsewhere. The H3 is a fully capable offroad vehicle that can stack up against anything, you should give it a look don't just discount it by the looks.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]What CAI do you have to bump up your mileage to 12-19, I would love to bump mine up that far. I'm getting 11mpg.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Welcome!

H3's looks like a Jees on 'roids? I think of the Jeep as being on 'roids... Hemroids...

Old 08-16-2007, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: boosted

The wife has given methe go aheadto buy me a new day to day driver and I am thinking I might try a Hummer but do have some questions and concerns.

1. Is it true that the Hummer H2 is Juts a chopped up chevy truck chassis?
2. I know it has the Chevy motor in it but what kind of milage doe sthis thing get? I am not overly concerned about it but would like to know some real world facts.

I am debating to myslef between the H1 and the H2. I have no desire for the H3 as it just looks like a Jeep on roids..

Please do not be offended by any of this just some honest straight forward questions..
Yikes ... Ugh ... bad move on the H3 comment there .. we're a bit biast about our vehicles around here as you may have noticed LOL!

To answer your questions ... and I think it was Greenblade who actually posted it initially .. there are some EXCELLENT writeups about what an H2 really is from a chassis aspect. Please use the Search function at the top and perform a search on for example H2 chassis and use Greenblade as the poster. You should be able to find it. It's about the best writeup/explanation I've seen of that particular subject. He also did one on the 4x4 system I believe .. or was that Shorty ....

As far as the gas mileage goes .. it is what it is here bro ... I said it just the other day ... it's a heavy, over sized brick that never made it in to GM's wind tunnel facility let alone across the desk of an aerodynamics expert. It'sthirsty ... if you expect or want 20 mpg and up .. this is not the vehicle for you .. however ... if youlike comfort, class, the"go anywhere/screw you"exterior good looks, and of course the ability to hit the trails using a stock, right off the showroom floor kind of vehicle .. I highly recommend pulling the trigger on one!

Old 08-16-2007, 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: pmalla5

my h2 depending on the driving condition with an aftermarket CAI get between 12.5- 19 miles a gllon on the average readout.
What kind of conditions are those? On top of a flatbed with the key out of the ignition? :-) You must be running a seriously lean mixture to squeeze out up19 mpg AVERAGE .. I guess if you went downhill the whole time I could understand it but ....

Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 PM

Boosted, remember that the 08 H2s have new engines, new interiors. They are very capable vehicles even with their Chevy roots. The Suburban and Tahoe chassis have excellent reputations - nothing to be worried about there. I'm an H3 guy for two reasons: mileage and the extra $20-$30K it takes to get into a new H2. And I like the looks--and it doesn't look a thing like Bonds, McGuire or Giambi. [/align]

Old 08-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

I learned very quick just how capable the H3 is when I was on a group outing in West Virginia. We had to build a trail for me.... while the H3's squeezed past. Jeep on roids?? Looks more like a badass HHR to me....

I love my H2.... it gets awful mileage.... and I could care less. Since I still have that tiny 6.0L 316HP motor.... oh... I forgot where I was going with that....

Quick Reply: About to be a Hummer Owner