PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aaargh! Stupid plastic hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Default Aaargh! Stupid plastic hinges

I have installed the Muth Signal Mirrors in my H3, and decided to add the heated mirror option as well. I needed to run an additional wire for the heaters, so apart my Hummer came yet again. The connector that locks the door wire bundle into the door connector had to come off, and as I had taken it apart a number of times already, when I finally got the wire run through the mirror, door and cable bundle, and went to clip the connector assembly back on, the plastic hinge that holds it together broke.[:@] Now I need goto Gm and get another connector. Meanwhile, my door is off, and my windows down, and I cannot drive it around! So, boys and girls, be extra careful when working on connectors that have plastic parts. They can break, and if plastic, too much flexing can cause them to break.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Default RE: Aaargh! Stupid plastic hinges

thx for the heads up

Old 03-20-2007, 01:18 AM

Post some pics of them bad boys when your done. How difficult was the install?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:41 AM

ORIGINAL: RutDogg

Post some pics of them bad boys when your done. How difficult was the install?
The mirror signal lampswould be classified as medium difficulty IMO.The instructions with photos are really good, and as long as your mechanically inclined and able, not too hard. Where I ran into trouble is running the second wire for the heated mirror option. The original signal wire install had you drill a hole through a set of cable connectors where no pins were present, and I tried to use the same hole for the extra wire. The hole was too small for both to fit easily, so I ended up having to take apart all of the work I had previously done, hence the extra opening and closing of one of the cable clamps causingrepeated stress o the plastic hinge and the break. So far, I have taken most of the truck apart in my efforts to install all thecrap I am adding to it. Once this project is done, the backup camera should go in,and then the rear roof marker lights.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 AM

I know that this is off topic, since the topic is: Aaargh! Stupid plastic hinges, but since you stated that you've taken most of the truck apart I figured you'd be the one to ask. So, have you ever removed the center console? I noticed that there are 3 screws on each side in the back along side of the seat bottoms, but it appears that the seats would need to be removed to get to them. I was wondering where else or how else it was connected. I want to run the ipod cable from the spec-USA ipod adapter into the center console so it can sit in the top tray.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

I know that this is off topic, since the topic is: Aaargh! Stupid plastic hinges, but since you stated that you've taken most of the truck apart I figured you'd be the one to ask. So, have you ever removed the center console? I noticed that there are 3 screws on each side in the back along side of the seat bottoms, but it appears that the seats would need to be removed to get to them. I was wondering where else or how else it was connected. I want to run the ipod cable from the spec-USA ipod adapter into the center console so it can sit in the top tray.
The centre console is one thing I have not touched yet. I have read to remove it you do need to unbolt the seats however.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:35 PM

Karl, where did you get the MUTH's??

I've been contemplating getting them for a couple of years, especially since the wife's Escalade has them!![:@][:@][:@]

Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 AM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

Karl, where did you get the MUTH's??

I've been contemplating getting them for a couple of years, especially since the wife's Escalade has them!![:@][:@][:@]
Ebay, where else? Used the Best Offer option and saved quite a few bucks off ordering them off their web site.

I say go for it!

Here are some heated ones on ebay (but if yours are not currently heated you need to get their HMOD kit as well)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HEATE...QQcmdZViewItem

Non heated

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUTH-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-21-2007, 01:19 AM

What "BEST OFFER" did he accept

Old 03-21-2007, 01:31 AM

The heated H3 ones I bought were more than the H2 ones are going for. I offered $30 US less than they were listed. I think they only accept bids from US accounts. If you need some "help", I have an "in", could save you some more $$$.

Quick Reply: Aaargh! Stupid plastic hinges