PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does a 6L80E Conversion Kit Interest You?
Yes, I have a LH6 5.3L V8!
28.57%
Yes, I have an I5!
50.00%
No, doesn't interest me at all.
21.43%
Not sure.
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

6L80 6sp Auto in an H3...anyone interested?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Question 6L80 6sp Auto in an H3...anyone interested?

Hey guys,

Basically, this is a bit of market research as I investigate which is the next vehicle and forum we become a sponsor of....provided we are fully successful next week (knock on wood).

As I plan to wrap up the first 6L80e converion on a 5.3L V8 GMT360 Trailblazer next week the we decided to go with an off road build up rather than street, I figured...hmmm...maybe the Hummer H3/Colorado/Canyon guys would be interested in a bolt in kit that allows them to keep their cruise control also. I'm talking a total bolt in kit and you can keep your cruise control complete with new harness/ECM.

I'm not sure what all comes and doesn't come with the present kits on the market, but I believe we have cracked the code on how to get make late model GM vehicle (technically ANY vehicle) run with the 6L80E/6L90E computer system.

This project would have been done already had we not had the difficult issue of making a custom transmission to transfer case adapter and transfer case input shaft.

The following are among the "stickies" that we are addressing/have addressed and plan to made available in the total package and/or a la carte.

Utility Features:
-Use of factory cruise control
-Tap up/down shifting
-4.xx First gear ratio aids crawling
-Extra two intermediate gears will really help I-5 motors in acceleration.

Just as PURELY a rough gauge, for the TBSS AWD/4WD we're speculating an approximate $6000 (+/- $500) for the entire thing including labor. Some return could come from selling the 4L70 trans. About $1000 was allocated to labor costs, so there is a savings if you do it yourself. Off hand I believe an easy $2k of this is in the necessary 4WD/AWD specific upgrade components.

Although the Inline 5 will benefit most from this, the cost will be higher due to some additional components that will have to be made such as the transmission bellhousing. So while it's possible, it would be a slightly longer wait for you guys.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 PM

I think I would rather have a 6 speed in my H2 than in my H3

Old 05-31-2010, 06:53 AM

Make a diesel swap to go with the Tranny and you'll have my buisness...

Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

I agree. A diesel should have been the base motor in the h2/h3, and a lame gasser as an OPTION to the losers who opted for it. A diesel in these hummers, maybe a tiny 4 banger like a 4bt cummins would be PERFECT. Excellent power, excellent economy, excellent water forging capabilities, over-all an excellent choice. I would probably keep this h3 until the day I'm layed in my grave if it had a diesel in it.

But since they dont, a 6spd auto would be awesome. First gear really really low for crawling, 3rd or 4th gear for 30-40mph city driving, and 6th gear really really high for cruising 70-80mph getting to the next hummer meet while getting excellent mileage.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:42 PM

Sorry guys...got a huge setback on the project that didn't get resolved until Dec.

Anyhoooooo...we're working on you H2's 24x motor issue and hope to have a fix by Summer.

Regarding diesel, whoever does those diesel conversion should have no issue doing a 6L90 with is as the new full size vans (Savana/Express) now have a Duramax 6L90 combo from the factory.