PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Speed Manual Trans a Box of Rocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Default 5 Speed Manual Trans a Box of Rocks

Hey,

I'm just checking in to see if anyone else here shares my experience. I've got a red '07 Tactical with the 5 speed manual transmissionwith about 14,000 milesand it is the single worst transmission on any vehicle I have ever owned in thirty years of driving. Half the time it doesn't want to go into first gearwithout pulling it into second and then into first, and getting it into second is no picnic. From third to fourth I bang into the gate and have to pull it left to get it to drop in, with resistance. Sometimes, if I back into a parking space and leave it parked in reverse it does not want to come out of reverse and into nuetral. I'm not talking about a little resistance at any of these locations, I'm talking about having to slam it to get it where I want it. The dealer says, "Yeah it's bad, but not bad enough to pull the tranny," and, "It's going to get worse before it gets better," and, "You've got a five year warranty on it so just drive it like you stole it." None of this is very comforting and it doesn't make my transmission any less hateful. I know that I'm not doing the tranny any favors by forcing it into gear, but that's the advice from the service department.

I've read on a number of posts here that many people say their H3 manual tranny is the smoothest they've ever driven. Does anyone else have a manual that sucks or am I alone in this?

Thanks,

HB

Old 04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 5 Speed Manual Trans a Box of Rocks

I think you are alone. I've had 6+ sticks in my life and I'm 32, and this is by far the smoothest and easiest shifting vehicle I've had. The throw is shorter then my Camaro was, the clutch is smooth and after 53k miles, it catches like it did with 1 mile on it.

There is definitely something wrong. I wouldn't take that reasoning your dealer gave you as a dismissal of your problem. You should have them open it up and fix it.

Welcome to the forum

Old 04-16-2008, 04:14 PM

I agree with HummerGuy, this has been one of the smoothest trannies I have had.

I tend to drive mine pretty hard. I have just over 30,000 miles and everything is good. It almost sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:01 PM

When reading this I thought the whole time that the clutch is getting stuck. I have never been in the stick-shift H3, but I have heard good things about them. I am surprised this has happened.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:10 PM

Hummbug, have you tried using that pedal on the far left? It might smooth things out a bit. But seriously, try another dealer's service. Or, find a dealer with 5 speed in stock, test drive it and compare. NO tranny should be as rough as you describe and everyone on this forum that has the 5 speed seems to like it (I'm stuck with an auto).

Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 PM

My 5-speed was really smooth when i first got it, it would shift with a nudge with 2 fingers.About 12k miles in it starting acting up. Now at about 20k i need to clench the shifter and jam it into gear. It never goes straight into 1st, i always need to go to 2nd then up to first. Took it into the dealer and they told me that it was normal operation for cold weather (it does it in warm weather too). They gave me a document on how to shift a manual (which was completely insulting).Itnow reminds me of how the 72 Fordpickup I had in High School shifted. Does anyone know if this is the same trans that is in the Sky and Solstice?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:21 PM

Does anyone know if this is the same trans that is in the Sky and Solstice?
Man I hope not! I hate driving my wife's solstice . . . tranny is very unforgiving . . .

i always need to go to 2nd then up to first
This has always been my habit. I was a truck driver for five years. Still, mine goes into first nice and smooth. I am still convinced your cluth is not disengaging all the way. Sounds like you are fighting the synchros. It is true that they require a little more "gentleness" when cold . . . but not that much.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 PM

smooth as silk, never a problem with my 2007, drive quite a bit, already have 68,500 miles on her

Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM

Mine shifts goodand is so shortcompared tomy F150the only issue I have is on the 4th to 3rd down shift it is tight if I ru**** but I put that down to meas I still go to shift likethe 150 and over extend the pattern sometimes.
Shifting into 1st goes in with a positive click with out a problembut I do tend to shift 2nd to 1st another 150 habit.
I would try another dealer and see what they say it does sound as if you have a clutch or synchro problem.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 PM

I have only test driven a manual hummer but it seemed nice. That's what I was originally looking for but they said that they didn't make the Tactical Edition with a stick

Quick Reply: 5 Speed Manual Trans a Box of Rocks