PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Visits to Dealer.....still have problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Default 4 Visits to Dealer.....still have problem

I purchased a 07 H3 in November. Right away, I noticed a sound coming from what sounds like the front left tire area. It is a "rotational" sound, that will increase with speed and slow down when I slow down.

Best way to try and explain the sound is: almost like that grinding sound you get from brakes when they need to be adjusted. But..... it does not stop when you brake, like this problem will often do.

Placed vehicle in neutral and still have noise

Increases with speed. As if its hitting something.

Just noticed it gets louder as I use the vehicle ( not too loud at first, but as each 10 miles go by, it will become louder, more pronounced.

Dealer has checked brakes, claimed to have adjusted backing plates, adjusted heat shield? and every time they say they have fixed the problem.

When I drive away, the sound is not as loud, but by the time I get home, its back to normal.

Has anyone had something similar? To be honest it is driving me nuts now! lol.

Its almost as if something is rubbing as the tire rotates, but they have had it apart and claim all is well.
I just recently noticed that it will get louder with time, each trip. I can drive for 5 - 10 minutes and hear nothing, then it will start up. Yesterday I took a highway trip, by the time I arrived it was almost loud enough that it could be heard with the windows up.

Any help here is appreciated, as Im frustrated now after 4 visits to the dealer. They have been cool, but I really want to find the problem. Who likes to drive down the street in a car that sounds like its a clunker? Especially when its an H3.....

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM

Judging from what they have done and they don't think it is a wheel bearing, I had a roar of sorts that changed sound as I drove on different types of pavement and sort of changed sound as I hit dips in the road. Turned out to be worn tires.
You might try swapping tires around and see what happens? Long shot but sooner or later you gotta trace it down. I was concerned about mine being something wearing out like bearings. You have to replace the entire hub to replace the wheel bearings.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM

fyi

Ur mileage may vary...lol!
But I would get under asap and verify that it is not a rear or front drv shaft.
Also have the front half shafts inspected and the & both diffs. Next thing I'd be looking at is low fluid in transferx.

Chris

Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Of course it could be the front diff has chewed itself.

Chris