PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Brake Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 05:20 PM
Default 3rd Brake Light Replacement

OK now before Doc comes and scolds me (lol j/k), I have searched for this and found most of the info but I would like some additional information if possible. How do you remove the trim piece to get to the 3rd/center brake light? I know it pulls off but does it pull down or towards you, if standing behind it with the door open. I want to take a look at mine since its not working and might need to be replaced but I don't want to break any of the clips. I also cant see behind it so I cant tell if it pulls straight down or straight outward? So if someone has done this can ya please post the steps again. Also if possible can someone post the correct part number for a 2006 H3. I found one on GM parts direct which I think is correct but I have seen others elsewhere that also claim to be correct and do not look it or so I think? I also want to mention to be aware when taking your car to the dealer for the HVAC connector recall. I just had mine done and about a week after I left the dealership I had the License plate light burn out, the 3rd brake light no longer works and now also my HVAC controls no longer light up, except for the center one. Now it could be just a coincident but I'm wondering if he shorted something out when he was doing the recall or didn't hook it up/wire it properly? Just weird all this would go out around the same exact time. Anyway just wanted you to be aware. I'll probably replace the controls someday but cheapest I could find was like $197 on amazon. I'll probably replace the break light since that is a lot cheaper first. Thanks for any replies/help!

Old 04-24-2016, 01:26 PM

The trim panel on the back door around the window pulls straight back, towards you when you are standing there looking at the inside of the door. The stock 3rd brake light is hard to find, and ridiculously expensive, even used. I made my own from LED lights from eBay. Just make sure you get a red one (or white with red lens) that will fit inside the housing where the old one is now.

License light, brake light, HVAC controls... Gotta be a coincidence, the recall fix is a simple plug N play repair; can't see how it could be related to all those other things.

As for the HVAC controls; the same unit is used on the Pontiac Solstice. Look on eBay and you can usually find them for 1/3 the cost of the "Hummer" unit.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 04-24-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:03 PM

Thanks I'll take a look. 3rd brake light not hard to find found it on gm parts direct for like $150 or so. I'll check out the heater controls for the Solstice as you say. Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2016, 11:28 PM

Yeah, AFAIC $150 is too much for a brake light. I just put one on my wife's Tahoe for $40. Mine that I made for my H3 cost less than $10.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:08 AM

Before you buy the ac controller. Take the center stack trim price off and make sure ALL of the connections are secure.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:28 AM

Will do as far as making sure the connectors are secure All the stuff works so I don't think they un connected them but I'll still check. As for making the light myself I'll look into it but I'm not too good at modifying stuff do the lights you got off ebay just plug and play or did ya have to modify the connector? Thanks again for the replies!

Old 04-26-2016, 12:29 PM

Nope. Had to modify the light to fit into the housing, and had to splice the wiring in.