PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's are now Rubbing- What's up with that?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Default 35's are now Rubbing- What's up with that?

As you can see, my new 35" MTZ's are now rubbing on that piece of round metal on the inside of the wheel well. I don't think it was happening last night when they were installed. I have the Leveling Kit - what can I do to fix this.

(You'll see in the pic where the dirt is rubbed away from the black metal piece...not sure what its called)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1314/0D4A6E39FC4144128A8A3FC2E923635C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Default RE: 35's are now Rubbing- What's up with that?

dude whats up with those 35's how much and good luck with ur h3 06 here not much luck i still want 35's though lol

Old 04-06-2007, 06:08 PM

that round thing would be your sway bar

Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 PM

these kinds of things happen to all fourwheelers that are into straying away from stock the next step is a four inch lift kit

Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 PM

On the factory rims the do that at full turn try not to make tight turns.
mine do it but i take a little rubbing anyday to have my 35s

Old 04-06-2007, 08:31 PM

dilo 's right. On the factory rims my 315/75/16 tires crown and bulge out more than normal. Not much you can do about it, other than dont full turn lock steering. Ive gotten use to not turning the steering wheel all the way on tight turns. Ive had 35's on for over a year , no problem. Heres a pic of the crowning on my tires,, you can see where the rubber on the sides dosnt make contact with the road a proper air pressure

[IMG]local://upfiles/267/11F0C4154BCC4BC4978D9BA88240D476.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/267/42A074EAEACA47C6ADFA362D118F4924.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2007, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: azz7772

these kinds of things happen to all fourwheelers that are into straying away from stock the next step is a four inch lift kit
ummm...thats totally false!

If the rubbing is bad and you don't want to get new rims with an offet that will prevent rubbing, just get yourself some 1" wheel spacers. They bolt onto the hub where the tire bolt to now then the tire bolts onto the lugs that are mounted in the spacer......they are VERY safe and jeepers have been using them for years. I installed a set of 2" spacers on my brothers JK when I lifted it....They were $100 a pair. This will fix all rub issues you are having.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:40 PM

Thanks to all of you for educating my dumb a$$ (re: sway bars and spacers). the fact is, I'm never taking the 35's off because I think that they look so awesome -- Inotice no difference in shift points, cabin noise, or handling ( just as ImportK had said). I'll consider going the spacers route, but I've poured enought cash into it in the last 7 days to hold me over for a while.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

ORIGINAL: azz7772

ummm...thats totally false!

If the rubbing is bad and you don't want to get new rims with an offet that will prevent rubbing, just get yourself some 1" wheel spacers. They bolt onto the hub where the tire bolt to now then the tire bolts onto the lugs that are mounted in the spacer......they are VERY safe and jeepers have been using them for years. I installed a set of 2" spacers on my brothers JK when I lifted it....They were $100 a pair. This will fix all rub issues you are having.
Mike do you know a site that sells them for the H3

Thanks Mark

Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Forums like this are sometimes double edged swords. On one hand they are a terrific resource for information and advice. However, unless you ask "all" of the right questions, you may not always get the whole story and sometimes the advice isn't worth the paper it isn't written on. This is a good example; you got lots of information on tires and pricing, but might not have received all the accurate informtion you needed on "fitting" oversized tires.

Someone on here, I forgot who, called 285/75/16 tires "wimpy". Maybe they are and maybe they aren't, but they fit w/o any modifications. You can buy wheel spacers which will push your tires outboard and stop, or at least reduce your rubbing, but they are not legal in all States and not everyone would agree they are completely safe. I'm not saying they aren't, but I have spoken with some knowledgable people who refuse to use them. Your second option is to start looking for new wheels that have the appropriate "backspacing" that will essentially do the same thing as the spacers, push your tires outward and eliminate the rubbing. I have not upsized to 35" tires on an H3 so I have not researched the appropriate backspacing to use, perhaps someone who has can chime in with some helpful information. Another solution would be to mechanically limit your turning radius, again I have only done this on Wranglers and Cherokees and won't offer advice on something I have not done myself, but more than likely it is possible.

Turning "may" not be your only problem! Anyone know if you can stuff 315's during full articulation on a completely stock suspension? If not, how much of a lift is required to clear them?

Another question i would like to ask is, are there any issues with axels when you upsize to 35" tires? I know that 33" is about the limit of tourque before most knowledgable people recommend you need to get new axels on Jeeps.

Quick Reply: 35's are now Rubbing- What's up with that?