PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

35" tires = Blown Axels/Steering Gear & Voids Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by marksteven
If you have access to your manuals that come with your H3, read the limited warranty and owners assistance info manual. If gm is allowed to go by this policy, then it clearly states " Any alteration or Modification to the vehicle including the body,chassis or components after final assenmbly by GM is not covered) That incudes the Tuff TRuxx
leveling kit.
That does not apply here. What theat is saying is that GM does not warranty aftermarket items.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mod paranoia is my diagnosis.

Remedy, mods of your choosing.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 AM

Markstevens - It can then be considered a modification of components if you choose a different brand tire than what the factory puts on? I agree a lift kit is a major change but a larger tire is not.
And no one here has mentioned that the factory manual does not say you can not use chains. Anyone knows that the weight of tire chains adds up to way more weight than any 33' factory tire with chains than any 35" tire without.
And if the 35"s can damage the drive line the tire dealer should be telling you that? Costco will not put 35"s on the H3.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 AM

07HummerH3 PS I would think that with 36,000 miles on your 35"ers they would be worn down to 33"ers at best? My BFG MT's have about 1' to 1 1/2" of thread and after 36k I would think they would be about 32" tires?
I also know that Legend Hummer in Phx. was selling raised H2's and also adding much larger, heavier wheels with heavier tires as a package on there new H2 ( not sure if they did that with the H3).

Old 09-14-2009, 07:54 AM

Going from 33" to 35" is a pretty major change. The greater the rolling radius, the more torque is required turn it. CV's also wear out much faster if their angles are changed by a lift. There's an article in the current issue of ORA all about the strengthening of axles when going bigger.

There's obviously a lot of stress involved when off road but there is also a lot of stress in a high traction situation all the time when on road.

I went 3" bigger than stock and had to re gear to get my mpgs back and prevent the trans from downshifting while climbing the grades around these parts. My front CVs were shot 50K miles later and I was still using stock wheels. If the offset was changed by aftermarket wheels, the wear would also increase.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 08H3
That does not apply here. What theat is saying is that GM does not warranty aftermarket items.
so you are saying tuff truuxx leveling kits are not aftermarket chassis parts? well, i didnt know GM uses tuff truxx kits in their vehicles. all i did was read and post what the manual says. if you suffer front end damage or premature wear to your front end and the mech.goes running to the serv. mgr. and tells him " there are red suspension components stamped Rancho or tuff truxx and why does he have tires that are larger than equipped, good luck getting warranty coverage from a company thats broke and has a ton of money to fix your mods. all they have to do is copy that page and show you. then all you have to do is say " oh no, according to the Hummer forums i can modify my H3, just ask them" good luck, thats why this member was told this by the dealer. if you read his post he did mention
a tuff truxx suspension kit. thats why we adjust the torsion bars and yes my dealer told me when i did mine, if unusual front end wear is attributed to adjusting the torsion bars it wouldnt be covered.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:46 PM

so you are saying tuff truuxx leveling kits are not aftermarket chassis parts? well, i didnt know GM uses tuff truxx kits in their vehicles. all i did was read and post what the manual says. if you suffer front end damage or premature wear to your front end and the mech.goes running to the serv. mgr. and tells him " there are red suspension components stamped Rancho or tuff truxx and why does he have tires that are larger than equipped, good luck getting warranty coverage from a company thats broke and has a ton of money to fix your mods. all they have to do is copy that page and show you. then all you have to do is say " oh no, according to the Hummer forums i can modify my H3, just ask them" good luck, thats why this member was told this by the dealer. if you read his post he did mention
a tuff truxx suspension kit. thats why we adjust the torsion bars and yes my dealer told me when i did mine, if unusual front end wear is attributed to adjusting the torsion bars it wouldnt be covered.
I read your post. Twice in fact, and frankly I can't tell what you're talking about. I think I actually agree with what you're saying, but your reply is so convoluted I can't really be sure.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 08H3
I read your post. Twice in fact, and frankly I can't tell what you're talking about. I think I actually agree with what you're saying, but your reply is so convoluted I can't really be sure.
sorry that i came thru unclear. all i am say is if you read this thread starters sig. with his mods it states, not only 35" tires but he has a Tuff Truxx level kit. seems like he had excessive wear and front end problems. when the dealership saw oversized tires and a hummer sitting higher than stock with Aftermarket parts, that voided the warranty. it is clearly printed in the warranty book with your H3 " no AFTERMARKET CHASSIS COMPONENTS" there are members that say aftermarket suspension kits dont void the warranty. Unless it is lifted prior to sale by a vendor GM uses such as Waldoch who sold lifted p/u's to chevy you probably wont be covered. i think that is clearer. well, i hope

Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 AM

Sounds like you need to get ACORN involved.

I bet they could help you get around that damn warranty DQ.

For the record.....This is a serious concern, considering the current state of the brand and I for one, worry that it will get worse.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 PM

sorry that i came thru unclear. all i am say is if you read this thread starters sig. with his mods it states, not only 35" tires but he has a Tuff Truxx level kit. seems like he had excessive wear and front end problems. when the dealership saw oversized tires and a hummer sitting higher than stock with Aftermarket parts, that voided the warranty. it is clearly printed in the warranty book with your H3 " no AFTERMARKET CHASSIS COMPONENTS" there are members that say aftermarket suspension kits dont void the warranty. Unless it is lifted prior to sale by a vendor GM uses such as Waldoch who sold lifted p/u's to chevy you probably wont be covered. i think that is clearer. well, i hope
Thanks for the clarification. I hear you now. Still, I believe that what the manual is actually stating is that GM will not warrant the Tuff Truxx components, which makes sense since they didn't manufacture it.

Quick Reply: 35" tires = Blown Axels/Steering Gear & Voids Warranty!