PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 6" lift w/ airbags, questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Default 2008 6" lift w/ airbags, questions

I have had my H2 for about a year now. I am trying to get a straight answer on a lift since the truck has factory airbags on it. One guy said it can't be done with the airbags. One guy says it can be done but the back end will be "soft" feeling.

Have any of you guys installed a lift with the factory airbags? If so, what way did you go? Remove airbag or not to remove and what brand lift did you use?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 PM

The factory airbags will not extend far enough. This is why you wont find any "kits" from reputable places like Fabtech or others which arent coil springs.

The rear airbags are a disaster waiting to happen anyway, someday you will come out to see your H2 sitting on its axle.

I assume that your 6 inch lift is for street looks anyway so may as well change them out to some nice looking painted coils.

And granted, you may hear some who tell you that it will work. I've personally seen it NOT work twice. So I only know what I see

Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 PM

Thanks. I found a Skyjacker kit 5.5 lift that says it works with the airbags. I think I just need to pull the airbags out and be done with it. I was also told that I'll have to go the dealer to get the computer flashed to clear the codes that will be thrown off with the bags gone.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 AM

The rear airbags are a disaster waiting to happen anyway, someday you will come out to see your H2 sitting on its axle.
Not true. Like with any car part, it needs replacing when it's worn out. Like saying tires are disasters waiting to happen...someday you will drive over a nail and you will be sitting on the rim The air bags are just a few hundred dollars to replace, so not too bad considering that they are awesome offroad and give you an extra 2" when needed. But if you want to convert to coils, it is a very simple replacement. I just personally love the Air ride and if you load the Hummer with people or gear or pull a trailer, it doesn't sag in the rear Cheers.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks guys. I'm going to get some info. on the Skyjacker system today, then I can make a decision of what way to go.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:47 PM

Skyjacker is one of my preferred vendors actually, I can only assume the 5.5" lift works with airbags if they say so. They do test their products quite well. As for 6" Fabtech I know both times i've seen it done with airbags it went poorly.