PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2006 H3- Key on and the only light is the check engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Default 2006 H3- Key on and the only light is the check engine

I try to crank the H3 and nothing. The check engine light, mirror display, and airbag display are the only lights that come on.

I replaced the black plastic part of the ignition switch and no change.

Battery is fully charged, and clamps are clean and tight.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-02-2015, 08:02 AM

I just experienced a similar issue with my H3 two nights ago.

Did this happen to you during the day or night...? Wondering as mine happened at night. The first time I tried to crank with no result all the dash lights were off, 5 minutes later tried again with no crank and all dash lights lights came on and on the third try after another 5 minutes, it started.

I've researched multiple different H3 forums and some people have had a similar issue, however, I never saw one with a resolution. Have you heard anything?

Old 12-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by artjlynch
I try to crank the H3 and nothing. The check engine light, mirror display, and airbag display are the only lights that come on.

I replaced the black plastic part of the ignition switch and no change.

Battery is fully charged, and clamps are clean and tight.

Any thoughts?
Are you referring to the OEM Battery Terminal Connectors? They might be clean, but the will NEVER be tight.... they SUCK!

There is probably 4 bazillion threads on the absolute need to hack off the POS OEM battery Terminal Connectors and replace them with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your own favorite brand. Do a search. First thing every H3, Colorado/Canyon (and more GM trucks) owners should do, get rid of them.

Easy thing to do to rule out the most common cause of electrical issues.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:09 PM

I changed the battery cables, still have the same problem. Hook the battery up head lights stay on and cannot be turned off. Power seats work, Could it be the BCM ?

Old 12-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by artjlynch
I changed the battery cables, still have the same problem. Hook the battery up head lights stay on and cannot be turned off. Power seats work, Could it be the BCM ?
Do you have a sunroof? Has your front passenger side floor ever been wet? If so, yes it could be the BCM got wet (they absolutely do not tolerate water) which is located up behind the glove box and side kick plate area.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:18 PM

Replaced BCM, everything back to normal, but wont start. Tried the procedure to relearn the passlock, but no go. Guess I'll have to get it to the shop.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:22 PM

when you replace the BCM it has to be reprogrammed through the truck or it will not work

Old 12-15-2015, 11:47 AM

If the Passlock light is also illuminated, it's a known communication issue between the BCM and the ignition switch. The ignition switch is basically telling the BCM that the vehicle is being stolen and shuts off the fuel pump. Relearning Passlock trick is temporary, read it only lasts 100 cycles. I had the same issue for months, only code when plugged into a computer was for a thermostat issue, but when the service tech looked it up in GM's database with the no-crank symptom, the ignition switch issue was referenced and recommended replacement. $430 repair, but after 6 months of dealing with waiting 10 minutes to start after a lockout, it was worth it, problem solved.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:04 PM

anybody give any thought to adding some plastic above/around the bcm to keep it dry?
i think ill look at it.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
anybody give any thought to adding some plastic above/around the bcm to keep it dry?
i think ill look at it.
That would be like walking around Detroit at night wearing a bullet proof vest instead of just not walking around Detroit at night.

Quick Reply: 2006 H3- Key on and the only light is the check engine