PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 H@ Towing RV, Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 AM

Yah but your problem is its and Nissan Armada. And to think you could of had a H1 for about the same you paid for that thing and I think they can tow like 10,000 stock. good luck with that new travel trailer

Old 03-08-2012, 12:46 PM

we bought a 2009 with 20,000 miles. LE with every option for $31,000. Not sure where I can find a used H1 for that price or get even close to the mileage like the Armada. Brand new 2012 Platinum Armadas are $53,000 so I could buy 2 Armadas for the price of a H1. A H1 can only tow 7887? OMG I hope thats wrong. I can tow 9100

HowStuffWorks "Hummer Towing Capacity Chart"

Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Question

So looking at what you fellas are saying is that the H2 will pull the weight, and maybe them some. But the major concerns are overheating of the engine, tranny, and brakes.

I myself am looking at getting a decent sized toy hauler for my family of 4 and to carry an atv, and a couple of dirt bikes. I think I have some decent options of size that will fit what i'm looking for.

Question for those that already have and use their trailers:

What kind of tongue weight should I be looking out for? My 05 has the spare tire carrier on the back (which I would like to keep) and i'm wondering about the trailer hook up as far as turning radius and room to even hook up?

If I use an extension, that will kill my tongue weight rating, correct?

I have the air ride suspension in the rear to compensate for the tongue weight squatting the rear end of my H2, but do you guys need or use those trailer/receiver equalizers?

Any info on your set up and reccomendations would greatly be appreciated

Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 PM

I don't know what the tongue weight on our 28 foot travel trailer is, but I did have to scratch my head on it when I used the extended receiver hitch to clear the spare.
It's been working great so far and has carried the trailer over 2400 miles from Utah to Florida plus 1600+ miles from Utah to Calgary.
Yep--use the stabilizer bars to keep your rig from doing the dance of the sugar plum fairy while trucking down the interstate. Don't buy the cheap chain type either, get the solid square tubes and you're deuce will tow like a champ.
You'll love the air suspension, not only for an awesome ride, but for helping you to load/unload the trailer--just make sure all of your damn doors are closed! (that's harder to do when you've got kids running around trying to get their junk out of the truck)
I'm not sure on the weight of the toy hauler you want--they tend to weigh alot to meet the rating needed to carry your junk, so you'll really have to watch that.
I absolutely love pulling the trailer with the deuce as seeing HUMMER's in the wild is pretty cool, but seeing them pulling trailers is REALLY cool!
The only thing I've seen better than our deuce pulling the mobile mansion was an H1 that showed up for our trail run pulling his mobile mansion!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by H2CANEPADESIGN
I tow a camper with mine, there are a few things I've noticed;
1. trans temperature climbs quite a bit on hills.
2. if you haven't you really need to add a brake controller (very easy install)
3. Mine is supercharged so I have to watch engine temp closely when climbing long, steep hills. I don't have any horsepower issues but that is the trade off.
4. my trailer dry weight is 2950. 21 ft. ultra lite .with all the crap in it is weights in right around 5000. so beware, if your dry weight is close to the max tow weight you could be asking for trouble

Check and change your drivetrain fluids regularly. check rear gear oil, transfercase and trans fluid regularly. if you trans temp is going up frequently smell the fluid and change it if its discolored at all or smells burnt. You will need to change it more often than the owners manual says if your towing a heavy trailer.
There you go! Trans is the biggest issue with these H2s. Thanks to my supercharger I've blown through a few already. I tow a 7200lb boat all over the place and don't have any troubles but I have the air ride which helps balance, and the supercharger to help power. My friend has the spring suspension with a stock engine and he pulls a car hauler with a 66 nova on it from the San Francisco bay area to sacramento all the time without problems (other than the transmission). My best guess would be that's about 5500. You should be fine, but I do recommend getting a shift kit or programmer, and ALWAYS use premium.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM

I use and extened hitch and it works just fine on 7000 pound boat and I have done 30+ tirps with it no problems.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 PM

I don't have any issues on the interstate, just going up major mountains like rockys, mammoth mountain, big bear. so for just using it on fairly flat lands, no issues. Good luck with the armada though, You will be going through brakes rapidly in those things, I have a personal vendetta against nissan at the moment for the Peice of #@$% maxima I bought in o6'. Should have lemon lawed it but I didn't. I have since replaced every conceivable part on the vehicle except the motor. read axles, transmission, radiator, three different engine sensors, fuel pump, wiring harness, battery, alternator brakes and rotors front and rear...I could continue but I'll stop. They used to make such a dependable car.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Update on what my family purchased.

After looking at a ton of Toy Haulers, and keeping in mind the tow rating, I went with a 2013 Rock Wood Roo (21ssl). The dry weight was 5500lbs with a front deck to carry my quad and dirt bike. Total gross is 75ooLbs.

I did end up getting an extension hitch piece to make up the spare tire depth and an E2 Equalizer hitch, bars/ no chains.

The H2 pulls it and it does very well. Going up the Rocky mountains is doable, as long as you're not looking to pass anyone.

Very happy with my purchase and thank everyone who responded in the thread to make an informed decision.

Next thing on my list is to install an air intake kit, headers, and back exhaust kit to help the H2 breathe a lil better.

Thanks again fellas!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 PM

Man, I'm glad to hear it's working out. Once I accepted that I had to drive within the deuces limits and not try pushing it, my towing experience got a lot better.
I'd recommend going with an Air Doc with the factory intake and maybe just an upgraded filter. I've heard all good about Air Doc, and the stock air filter set-up is supposed to be really good to leave alone. That's the direction I'll be headed when the money is there for it.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM

Just an update here, I still tow my trailer but I did have to remove the external spare tire carrier in leiu of the electric tongue jack on my trailer. ( I mounted it in the stock carrier inside the vehicle). I also just replaced my first transmission last month at 105,000. Been contemplating an aftermarket transmission cooler to deal with the heat issues. Just towed it up to the mountains on memorial day weekend and had watch the temp gauge again.

Quick Reply: 2006 H@ Towing RV, Help