PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 H2 Speedometer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Default RE: 2003 H2 Speedometer Problem

Well, after almost 3 months of the annoying speedometer problem, I finally called my local Hummer dealer. The sevice rep said it was a bad speedometer sensor or something. Actually the only thing I heard him say is that it would cost $500 to fix. I'm still thinking about what to do.

On a related note, does anyone here feel that their Hummer dealer charges outrageous prices for repairs? I needed to get a piece of weather strip replaced on my rear inside door, and the guy told me it would be $125, plus I had to wait 3-4 days for them to get it. I went to Auto Zone and bought a box of strip, cut it, and installed it in under 5 minutes. Total cost: $14.99.

Also, has anyone taken their Hummer to a Chevy dealer for repairs or an oil change? I mean its all GM right? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Find someone that still has a warranty - switch parts with them - have them go to dealer for repair under warranty. .....you may want to float some cash to the person who does this for you.

I in no way condone the above statement.........................however, it may work.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 AM

Hello i recently had this problem with my 03 tahoe . Did the same excact thing your talking about.

What you have to do is take the cluster out and on the back, there is a number you right those numbers done, Call your dealer with those numbersand they will replace you one from AC delco- they take your old one back due to core charge. They will program your milage into the new cluster. (maybe even take a few miles off)

It cost me $265 all said and done. The gentlemen told me at the dealer ship that this is very common in gm clusters.

I got the 265 deal beacasue i went through my buddies dealership. If you have a problem let me know maybe i can help you out!!!

andy

Old 01-06-2007, 10:51 AM

If you are interested in buying a cluster, I found one on Ebay. Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...spagenameZWDVW

If this link won't work, here's the item number

Item number: 330070065800
Good luck

Old 01-07-2007, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

Find someone that still has a warranty - switch parts with them - have them go to dealer for repair under warranty. .....you may want to float some cash to the person who does this for you.

I in no way condone the above statement.........................however, it may work.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 01-19-2007, 03:24 PM

I have noticed the same speedo problem, maybe not to that severity, but I'll tell you...it's the only think stopping me from getting a ticket. So for the time being, I ain't changing it.

As for high prices. The dealer here wants just under $200 for an OIL CHANGE! F that...I go to my dads buddies shop...$40 for the exact same job and better oil!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Default speedo repair....$75

Hey guys...i'm new to the hummer forum. I have owned a couple of tahoes and recently an H2. I also used to own the local Meineke Muffler shop. One thing that I did at our shop that set us apart was repair these speedometers. The problem is the motor that moves the speedo needle. I can replace just the motor. You don't have to replace the cluster and have anything reprogrammed. I charged $175 to remove the cluster, desolder the motor/resolder the motor and reinstall the cluster. If anyone is interested, I will repair yours for $75. The only trick is, you'll have to take your cluster out and mail it to me (unless you live in Hattiesburg, ms...then I'll do it for you). I'll tell you how to get it out if you would like. I can get the entire cluster out in about 3 minutes. It's pretty simple. So....like I always say...screw the dealers!

Also, the transmission temp and the alternator gauges are bad about stopping too. All of the gauges are powered by the exact same motor. I can repair any of them.

Email me at cartersdad@gmail.com

Last edited by cartersdad; 03-07-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot to put my contact email
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 PM

The cluster can not come out in 3 minutes on a Hummer on a tahoe yes but the hummer you have to take the center radio bezel out to get the cluster face out. Also if you get a new cluster from ebay you will have to have it programmed from the dealership and they charge here about 110 or so. I have replaced tons of these and eventually mine will go out. Unfortunately this is very common with all the GM truck clusters and they are not doing anything to the new clusters to fix it either

Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 AM

The cluster can come out faster than 3 minutes. You don't have to take out the center radio bezel. You simply remove the two allen head bolts from each side of the bezel and slide it from behind the radio bezel. I did one last night. I've done over 50 hummers like this. The Hummer is the most difficult one to remove. Chevy tahoe, etc., are much easier. The cluster does not need to be replaced. All you have to do is replace the motor that controls it. This involves minor soldering skills and the motors, but thats all.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 PM

Will a dealer not do repair if you ask them, or is new the only option they will consider?

Quick Reply: 2003 H2 Speedometer Problem