PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 H2 fake inside wood trim peeling off doors and dash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Default 2003 H2 fake inside wood trim peeling off doors and dash?

My 2003 H2 has the fake inside wood trim stickers peeling off doors and dash? Any ideas for sticking it back on? I was thinking about getting a heat gun and very carefully/gently heating it up without burning it and trying to stick it back on, getting the adhesive warmed up. My H2 just got delivered to me from California and the weather here in Michigan has been in the 20's and 30's...I am just wondering if that sudden change in temperature could cause some contraction of the adhesive on the trim. Any ideas/thoughts on how to stick it back on would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 H2 fake inside wood trim peeling off doors and dash?-trim1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2016, 09:05 PM

Here's another picture.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 H2 fake inside wood trim peeling off doors and dash?-trim2.jpg  
Old 02-27-2016, 10:42 PM

to me it looks like the trim has been warped.
usually those pieces from from the manufacture pretty straight.

I wouldnt try a heat gun, probably burn or ruin the finish

usually those thing are on with thin double sided tape

if you can find another company.... you should be able to pick up a set for 150-250 on the average
if that much

Old 02-28-2016, 07:42 AM

Yes, it has an adhesive on the back side of the trip. I am just wondering if there is any fixing what you see in the pictures?

Old 02-28-2016, 10:26 PM

Maybe try removing the trim and getting new 3m two faced tape and reapplying them back on?

Old 02-28-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Treviso
Yes, it has an adhesive on the back side of the trip. I am just wondering if there is any fixing what you see in the pictures?
Treviso, I think you missed it in the first post I made

"to me it looks like the trim has been warped.
usually those pieces from from the manufacture pretty straight
if you can find another company.... you should be able to pick up a set for 150-250 on the average if that much"

What I am saying is those kits come with the pieces stuck and saran wrapped to a piece of flat straight cardboard, so when you get them they are straight.... they have to be cause again its on a piece of flat cardboard. So with all the warping that yours has, I dont think there is much salvaging that piece. It is a hardened plastic piece and essentially ruined already, so you could trying working it flat with some heat, BUT 1) I am not saying to do that. you do that at your own precaution, and 2) whats the worse that can happen? you ruin an already ruined piece?

If you do try heat, I would boil it and not use a heat gun.... Too much direct heat definitely would end badly.
Boiling will heat it up and it will be even and the whole piece could be manipulated

But remember it will be hot plastic

Hope this helps

Old 02-29-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by yrkdmaxh2
Maybe try removing the trim and getting new 3m two faced tape and reapplying them back on?
The 3m two faced tape was a life saver for me more times than I can count!

Old 02-29-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Treviso, I think you missed it in the first post I made

"to me it looks like the trim has been warped.
usually those pieces from from the manufacture pretty straight
if you can find another company.... you should be able to pick up a set for 150-250 on the average if that much"

What I am saying is those kits come with the pieces stuck and saran wrapped to a piece of flat straight cardboard, so when you get them they are straight.... they have to be cause again its on a piece of flat cardboard. So with all the warping that yours has, I dont think there is much salvaging that piece. It is a hardened plastic piece and essentially ruined already, so you could trying working it flat with some heat, BUT 1) I am not saying to do that. you do that at your own precaution, and 2) whats the worse that can happen? you ruin an already ruined piece?

If you do try heat, I would boil it and not use a heat gun.... Too much direct heat definitely would end badly.
Boiling will heat it up and it will be even and the whole piece could be manipulated

But remember it will be hot plastic

Hope this helps
Thank you for the great advice. I will go to the hardware store and find some good double sided tape. I think that the boiling idea might work if I can manipulate the trim, soften it and flatten it...then, reapply it to the H2.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:19 PM

Does the 03 comes with wood or it is aftermarket

I fix everything with the magic 3M or velcro

Old 03-01-2016, 07:48 AM

Those are aftermarket. No H2 came with wood. You could just peal them all off and wipe the glue off.

Quick Reply: 2003 H2 fake inside wood trim peeling off doors and dash?