PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Limited Edition H1... Looking for Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Default 1992 Limited Edition H1... Looking for Opinions

Hey guys. I'm new here. I was told to sign up and ask for an expert opinion. I am looking at a 1992 Limited Edition H1. I have wanted an H1 ever since I was wee little tike and this is testing my self control. Here is a copy of the ad. The guy is asking $21,500. Tell me what you guys think, If there are things I need to look out for, and maybe a fair price."I have for sale a genuine American General Hummer H1 6.2l J-series Detroit diesel with only 32k original miles. It was parked at an almond farm in N. California for about 15 yrs. The previous owner had it custom built from the factory. This is a military vehicle taken off the assembly line and slightly modified for civilian use. It's basically the same hand-built vehicle that beat out the million-dollar Lamborghini Cheetah for the US contract to replace the Jeep. Why buy a Chevy Tahoe with an Humvee lookalike body ("H2") when you can have the real McCoy? This vehicle will literally climb a wall (or drive straight through it) and comes with the same central tire inflation system and run-flat wheels currently used by the military (still works flawlessly!!). And of course it can drive underwater or through a sandstorm with it's bombproof air-intake system and snorkel. (
) The interior could use a little cosmetic TLC but everything is in great mechanical condition. This is indisputably the ultimate 4x4 and will turn heads wherever it goes. I've set the price ridiculously low for any H1 anywhere, let alone one of the rarest. It is hand built!! The last one sold in Spokane for $50k and I think this one is a bit better. This is a vehicle for a serious off-road enthusiast who has $$$ to purchase, maintain and drive. If you are a collector, you will likely want to do a little cosmetic detailing. The fuel economy ranges between 12-16mpg, which is better than most big 4x4s. It drives more like a tank than a car and was never intended for high-speed freeway driving. But hey, it's not a status symbol to show off during trips to Costco... it's a high mobility attack vehicle!"Thanks for the help.SeanBTW: Can I drive this to Costco?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

It will never get 16 mpg, unless the military has recently adopted using the CTIS system their Humvees weren't equipped with it and interior parts, particularly for the older models, are nearly impossible to find and very expensive. The HVAC system does not work well in any real heat. 58 mph is about as fast as the truck will run and it will take all day to get there, or it will seem like it. I always am concerned about a vehicle that has sat that long. Every hose on the truck likely needs/needed to be replaced as did/do bushings, mounts, seals, etc.
The steering components on the early trucks were inadequate and need to be upgraded if they haven't been. Also the A frames were not as "robust" as later years. I upgraded all of that on mine.
Now for the good, the 6.2 diesel engine and TH400 tranny are completely mechanical and nearly bullet proof. No turbo, no PMD, no electronics of any kind to cause issues or cost money. The trucks are easy to work on. With the high compression engine and 3 speed tranny you have the torque to climb almost anything and can crawl down steep slopes without touching the brakes.
Price is always judged on condition and there isn't enough to make a call on that. I spent 5K on mine as soon as I got it but I knew I was going to do that. My interior was flawless. You could easily spend thousands restoring the interior if you can even find the parts to do it. I have never seen or heard of a 92/93 selling for 50K in the last 10 years. On the surface 21-22K seems like a good price.
I would have the truck completely checked out by someone that knows H1s.
A fair price for a nice 92 would be in the 25-30K range.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:21 AM

Thank you. I don't want to get into a huge project right now, so I'm happy I asked. It looks to be in good shape, however, like you said, anything rubber probably has to go. I was thinking that $15,000 was more reallistic myself. I think I just need to spend the extra 10k and buy a nicer 1994 or 1995.

Cheers,

Sean