PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

08 Alpha shuts off while driving!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM
Default 08 Alpha shuts off while driving!

Zero issues other than wearable parts until now with my 08 Alpha.
Summary of events that may or may not be a factor in the issue at hand:

Washed the truck earlier in the week and left all doors open to dry the jams (maybe 2 hours). hop in the following morning to head to work and I get a "click" as if the battery is dead. Give it a quick jump and I'm on my way.

After work I parked the truck in the drive and used my wifes vehicle for errands all weekend.

Hop in Sunday, fire the truck up and immediately notice the Nav unit is black. no power at all. Check fuses and everything is good??

During a 10 mile drive the truck would hesitate (lose power) randomly then catch itself before completely cutting out. Then drive like normal.

Picked a new battery up.

Monday morning work commute. I got about 10 miles into the ride and all of the dash lights come on, RPM's drop and I'm coasting (engine off) at 45mph. I muscle the truck into a parking lot and start troubleshooting.
No CEL = No codes
Turned the key to run an got nothing besides dash lights (no click or anything).
I give it about 5 minutes, turn the key to fire it up and she fires like normal and I'm back on the road.

So long story short, the truck is sitting out back here at work. anyone have anything close to this happen??

Old 10-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Do you still have the OEM battery terminal connectors?

Every H3 made has absolute crap for connection to the battery from the factory. If you still have the crappy azzed battery terminal connectors, consider that your problem. Hack em off and swap them out with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand. Search it, it has been beat like a dead horse.

Switch those and rule the easy stuff out.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. I did throw a new battery in and made sure to clean and tighten the connections as I have read about the terminal issue. The truck is at the dealership currently and as expected, they cant replicate the issue. They're going to put some miles on it today and "try" one more time.
Since making the post I've got a laundry list of culprits from browsing the forum. I'll update after getting it back tomorrow.

Jake

Old 10-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Prochrgd1
Thanks for the reply. I did throw a new battery in and made sure to clean and tighten the connections as I have read about the terminal issue. The truck is at the dealership currently and as expected, they cant replicate the issue. They're going to put some miles on it today and "try" one more time.
Since making the post I've got a laundry list of culprits from browsing the forum. I'll update after getting it back tomorrow.

Jake
So, in other words you chose to ignore my advice as to the #1 H3 electrical Gremlin creator.

The battery terminal issue rears its ugly head the first time the then owner swaps a battery and tries to tighten the connectors, .....because it is impossible to have a tight connection with those hunks of crap.

First modification to make to every H3 should be quality aftermarket battery terminal connectors.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:09 PM

The truck was at the dealer shortly after I made the original post.
Fast forward to this afternoon.. Of course they found nothing.
Picking the truck up on my way out of work with an arsenal of trouble shooting to do.

Attached Thumbnails 08 Alpha shuts off while driving!-h3.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 AM

Just getting info after the truck was "fixed" then trailered back to the dealership for the same issues. The dealer had the truck for over a week and came up with: water damage to the BCM harness, killing the BCM. The dealer gave me (2) options: First is to source whatever harness houses the connectors for the BCM (used), cut them, get used a BCM and splice the used connectors onto the existing harness and done. Or, purchase the entire harness that has the BCM connectors, have them reroute the entire new electrical harness into a new BCM etc etc. Parts and labor were quoted so insane I wont even post.
This issue is common in the H2/H3 community. Does anyone have any insight as to what, if any other options I may have? Could the existing BCM wiring harness be cleaned up (minor water damage) rather than opting for a new harness or splicing a mass amount of wires?

Thanks,

Jake

Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Prochrgd1
Just getting info after the truck was "fixed" then trailered back to the dealership for the same issues. The dealer had the truck for over a week and came up with: water damage to the BCM harness, killing the BCM. The dealer gave me (2) options: First is to source whatever harness houses the connectors for the BCM (used), cut them, get used a BCM and splice the used connectors onto the existing harness and done. Or, purchase the entire harness that has the BCM connectors, have them reroute the entire new electrical harness into a new BCM etc etc. Parts and labor were quoted so insane I wont even post.
This issue is common in the H2/H3 community. Does anyone have any insight as to what, if any other options I may have? Could the existing BCM wiring harness be cleaned up (minor water damage) rather than opting for a new harness or splicing a mass amount of wires?

Thanks,

Jake
A shorted BCM harness is NOT a common issue. I suppose any harness can be compromised, but it is not common.

With the H3, if you allow the sunroof drains to get clogged, water will run down the inside of the A pillar and get your passenger side floor wet. The water usually gets the BCM wet on the way by, since the BCM is behind the passenger kick plate. You then start & drive the car with the BCM wet and it fries certain functions.

The cure for a wet BCM, is to replace it, not the wiring. You can peel back the carpet and run a fan in the area when warm to dry everything out. Some people have been able to continue on with only minor glitches, kind of like when a cell phone gets wet (sometimes they dry out and keep working, other times not). If you have a sun roof, then make sure the drains are not clogged, there are posts here on how to do that.

With no sunroof, the only way to wet the BCM is deep water/mud bog flood or possibly by leaving the passenger window down in the rain.

The symptoms for a wet BCM are not usually what you were describing as it controls the body functions, not the powertrain. Most symptoms are wipers that come on/off by themselves, dead lights inside or out, instrument panel flaking out displaying various messages, and other body electrical issues etc....

Old 11-08-2017, 04:02 PM

I'm a firm believer in back to the basics and 1st things 1st.

* Battery
* Battery connections
* Clean, inspected grounds
* Clean, inspected positive wire

It is always a good idea to have an ohm meter a DVM.
If you start with these you usually have a winner.

You're battery you said has been replaced?
Is it new? Correct size, type?
Did you in fact cut off and replace battery connectors?
Did you check, clean, disconnect the main ground to chassis and block / frame?
Did you ohm test each cable for resistance to inspect for connectivity values?
How bout checking all fuses?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
So, in other words you chose to ignore my advice as to the #1 H3 electrical Gremlin creator.

The battery terminal issue rears its ugly head the first time the then owner swaps a battery and tries to tighten the connectors, .....because it is impossible to have a tight connection with those hunks of crap.

First modification to make to every H3 should be quality aftermarket battery terminal connectors.

Good luck.
does this appky to H2's also

Old 02-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by euro55
does this appky to H2's also
Is an H3 an H2? No.

Does and H3 have the same OEM Battery Clamp Terminal Connectors as an H2? No.

So.... No.

Quick Reply: 08 Alpha shuts off while driving!