PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08-09 Headers/Exhaust recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:42 PM
Question 08-09 Headers/Exhaust recommendation

Hi guys, wondering if someone can advise me. Am heading over to the states, and potentially looking to go on a bit of a spending spree. I'm potentially looking at bringing back with me some headers and possible an exhaust (depending on weight and size of the box - it'll be going on the plane with me!).

Anyone suggest a decent brand to go with ? I've seen OBX and Gibson mentioned a lot online. Any experiences (good or bad) with either ? Long headers v shorty - Does it matter ?

Also assuming i grab a set, blackbear tuner to complete the tune ?

Old 11-18-2015, 08:05 AM

OBX is Chinese, Check with Bassani exhaust. They had some on closeout. You have to call as they are not on their website. Borla is premium stuff.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
OBX is Chinese, Check with Bassani exhaust. They had some on closeout. You have to call as they are not on their website. Borla is premium stuff.
What about Gibson or Billy Boat ? Seems to be a clear difference, and i notice that one brand might do the cat back, but then not do the headers, i was hoping to go all with one brand/system.

Are the true dual exhausts the best ones to go for ? Again would probably opt for long headers if it makes the difference for performance. I'd get someone else to fit the whole thing anyway.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:56 PM

Gibson is pretty good quality. Too loud tho. Not drone but just too loud for me. I use the Gibson setup but with a large muffler from magnaflow now. Much better for me

Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by ryaleon
Gibson is pretty good quality. Too loud tho. Not drone but just too loud for me. I use the Gibson setup but with a large muffler from magnaflow now. Much better for me
Thanks for coming back to me, did you have the headers ? Or just the catback ?

Anyone else have any positive/negative experiences with the Gibson headers ?

Old 11-19-2015, 06:35 AM

I just got the catback. I wouldn't bother with headers unless you plan on doing longtubes. I may eventually go that route but for right now I am happy. I was more after a specific sound than power gains.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 AM

I hear you, although someone else pointed me in the direction of the dynatech LT headers and cats... thinking maybe i get them and a blackbear tuner. Should be able to check that lot in the hold of an airplane!

Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I use the JBA ceramic coated shorty Headers and JBA Cat Back Exhaust. The Borla is a Premium exhaust but I love these JBA's they are built here in California and are not too loud unless your standing on it.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:47 AM

Ok so am leaning towards dynatech long tube headers, and high flow cats, with a blackbear. I'll order it in the week i think. I doubt i can get a cat back exhaust with me on the plane too! Although quick question, do you think by having the stock exhaust and tuning, it's still going to be a pretty decent difference ? I know having a stock cat back for now will steal the noise from it, but am hoping to do the muffler etc at a later date.

Also if anyone had experience with dynatech i'd be interested...

Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 PM

Just dealt. As promised, dynatech headers (Long tube) and high flow cats... with tuner.
Looking forward to getting them. Hopefully thanksgiving wont throw delivery schedules off too much and my hotel will be happy to receive the packages
It's unlikely that i'll be able to get the catback exhaust this time, so will miss out on the sound (best bit) but you think this will affect the tune by much ? I always thought the headers and cats were going to be the main restrictions... in any event, catback exhaust easy to find, the headers and cats are the problem where i live.