PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 H3 with Chrome Rims - chrome peeling and GM unwilling to warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Default RE: 06 H3 with Chrome Rims - chrome peeling and GM unwilling to warranty

I was able to find this:

http://www.goodwrench.com/gmgoodwren...inumWheels.pdf

"Warranty of Pitted or Spotted Chrome Wheels
Wheels returned with pitting or spotting as a result of road chemicals may be replaced
one time. Damage resulting from contact with these applied road chemicals is corrosive
to the wheels finish and may cause damage if the wheels are not kept clean.
Important: Notify the customer that this is a one time replacement. Please stress to the
customer the vital importance of keeping the wheels clean if they are operating the
vehicle in an area that applies calcium chloride or other dust controlling chemicals! "GM
of Canada" dealers require prior District Service Manager approval."

This is just for "spotted" wheels, let alone mine where the surface is actually peeling, and throwing bits of chrome at my brakes as they flake off. Not to mention the awful sound it makes as each tire rotation passes by one of the chrome bubbles and rubs against the brakes. This can't be simply a "cosmetic" issue, but even if it is, it should still be covered based on their own document.

I have also found many posts on the web of people who had these problems on other GM cars (Pontiac G6's, Oldsmobile vans, etc), and these people had their rims replaced.

I'm afraid I've lost the dealer I trusted in, and the manufacturer I trusted my warranty in. Small claims court may be my only other option at this point. I won't be afraid to name the dealer in the suit, either.

I sent an email to the owner of Murray Chevrolet Hummer this evening (Dan Murray), informing him that I'm no longer a customer there, and informing him that the dealer will be responsible for removing the "Murray Hummer" decals prominently displayed on my vehicle.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Default RE: 06 H3 with Chrome Rims - chrome peeling and GM unwilling to warranty

Yeah mine jsut started peelling as well!! I only have 20K miles on it and only 3000 are from this winter and when it actually started peeling!!

Im gonna go to the hummer dealer(s) near Pittsburgh and see what they will do.

Also would it matter with the warranty that i bought my hummer used from a local GM dealer?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Hey guys!

I hate to revive an old thread but I hope this will help you guys with the peeling chrome wheels. I am fighting GM on this right now and documenting as much proof as I can. It seems 2006 was a very bad year for GM as far as chrome plating goes.

Here is a yutube video of a recorded phone conversation with the service director at Myers Cadillac in Ottawa Ontario. He confirms there is a problem in the design of the chrome wheels. Also a recorded conversation with GM customer service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ta4wiGuy8

Here is a GM bulletin:
#07-03-10-015: General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage - (Nov 6, 2007)

Subject:General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage

Models:1996-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2008 HUMMER H2
2006-2008 HUMMER H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...sm#ss1-2037107

The General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty

This bulletin has been issued to clarify warrantable conditions on GM OEM wheels. It is our intent that this one document will answer many of the warranty scenarios you are likely to encounter. Unlike other parts of the vehicle, wheels encounter various road hazards, corrosive substances and abuses that may present questions in both the mind of the customer and the dealer. Eligible conditions are warranted for the full term of the New Vehicle Warranty. Currently for Chevrolet (except Corvette), Pontiac and Saturn, this is 3 years / 36,000 miles (60,000 km) and for Buick, Cadillac, HUMMER and Corvette, coverage is for 4 years / 50,000 miles (80,000 km).

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...sm#ss2-2037107

Information Sources for Wheel Issues

The following GM Service Bulletins contain information useful to minimizing possible damage, and reducing customer concerns that may arise through incorrect servicing and improper cleaning products.
• #00-03-10-002D - Chemical Staining, Pitting, Corrosion and/or Spotted Appearance of Chromed Aluminum Wheels
• #04-03-10-012A - Pitting and Brake Dust on Chrome Wheels
• #06-03-10-004 - Proper Use of OEM Service Wheel Weights, Marring and/or Damage Due to Use of Non-OEM and/or Incorrect Wheel Weight Installation
• #06-03-10-010 - Information on Proper Wheel Changing Procedures and Cautions

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?d...sm#ss3-2037107

What is NOT Warrantable

GM provides many different styles and finishes for our passenger car and truck wheels. You will find both steel and aluminum wheels with painted, polished or chrome finishes available. While each of these types must meet GM durability standards for road impacts and finish appearance, there are conditions that are not warrantable.
Curb Impact / Scrapes

Wheels that have been damaged through abuse are not warrantable. Finish scraping and wheel flanges that have been damaged due to curb impact are not warrantable.
Bent Wheel Flanges / Cracked Wheels

Bent wheels and cracked wheels due to road hazards are not warrantable. In many cases bent and cracked wheels result from driving on low tire air pressure or a flat tire. Low tire pressures dramatically reduce the impact protection the wheel has and lowers the threshold where damage may occur.
Finish Damage / Streaking / Pitting / Corrosion

There are many different types of finish damage possible, resulting from aggressive cleaning products, road chemicals, poor tire changing practices, or manufacturing processes. Some of these are warrantable while others indicate abuse. See the Finish Damage sections below, which give examples of the different types of specific finish concern issues you may encounter.

Warrantable Issues
Any defects in the finish, balance, or structure of the wheel resulting from improper manufacture are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty for the full time and mileage limits of that warranty. Typical covered finish issues that you may encounter are:

• Flaky or pitted chrome on the visible wheel surface indicating poor adhesion of the plating.

• Polished or machined aluminum wheels that exhibit Filiform Corrosion (chalky white lines under the clear coating) This condition is warrantable, unless it is caused by incorrect wheel weight application and use.

• Wheel center caps that exhibit similar conditions to warrantable wheel concerns.

• Thin or poor paint finish quality on painted wheels. Bubbling / Flaking of the paint.

• Paint damage incurred during stick-on wheel weight changes. (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel)

• Flaking or peeling on backside surface of wheel indicating poor adhesion of the plating (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel).

Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM