PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 H2 SUT with lots of play in steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Default 05 H2 SUT with lots of play in steering

Hello,

Im fairly new to Hummers, and dont really know much about them.
I just bought one couple days back, and noticed there was a lot of play on the steering. Especially at highway speeds where on turns you needs a sharp response from the car, or else you end on the other lane.

I did some searching around in threads, but it didnt sound specific to what I want to know.

I know the usual place to look, like the tie rods and so on....but they look fairly good.

I hear these have steering stabilizers and so on, so I thought I should ask before coughing up money on the usual maintenance.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Probably your idler and pitman arms, in addition to the tie rods are on their way out. Steering stabilizer won't make your steering feel like that.
These big H2's with the big 35 inch tires can be hard on steering components.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM

I bought my 05 H2 in the beginning of June and it feels similar. I have the Kryptonite tie-rods and Moog idler and pitman arms ready to be installed. I'll let you know if that fixes things.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 AM

The moog will fix things for a while. There is nothing on the market that lasts the way it should on our rigs. I had an entire custom steering linkage made of chromemoly...replaces everything between the hubs and steering box. If this doesn't hold up to a grenade going off, nothing will.