PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04/06 mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by hellzarmy
If i am not mistaken, this section is for the H2, not the H3.

please post in the correct section as you see if causes confusion when people state they get 17+ mpg which is not possible in a H2.

H3 maybe, but i have no expeirence other than test drives, and that was with the 5 cyl engine, ( not to knock any owners) but also dont care to waste time on any H3 issues.. as i dont own one. that is why there is a different section for it, and all the other Hummer models.
I havent seen anyone say anything about an H3 in here. Were all talking about H2's.

Sorry to disappoint!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by hellzarmy
If i am not mistaken, this section is for the H2, not the H3.

please post in the correct section as you see if causes confusion when people state they get 17+ mpg which is not possible in a H2.

H3 maybe, but i have no expeirence other than test drives, and that was with the 5 cyl engine, ( not to knock any owners) but also dont care to waste time on any H3 issues.. as i dont own one. that is why there is a different section for it, and all the other Hummer models.
Here ya go Hellzarmy!!!!!! This ought to put your mind at ease!!

Name:  fuelmileage.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  43.8 KB

Old 01-09-2010, 05:00 PM

OK, you are the single H2 on this forum getting 16-17 MPG or more. (I suspect your computer is miscalculating..but its no skin off my nose if you get 20-30 MPG....God Bless)

Bottom line, MOST H2 owners are geting 10-12 around town and 14-ish on the highway....thats what you should expect barring a special H2...

..and that isn't just this forum. Thats the numbers i've seen on other forums, car mag reviews, etc...

Anyway..

Cheers all,

Old 01-09-2010, 05:37 PM

I get 12.8 around Vegas and 15.4 on the highway very consistently. But I recently got 9.6 on the highway with a strong head wind and I have gotten 90+ mpg when driving down hill. A lot of factors effect an H2's mpg.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM

alright ordered my new airaid system and throttle body spacer ill let you all know the millage increase if any thanks for all the help. next is the corsa exhaust and high flow cats. also after all this im going to do the electric fans as well so going for that 16 to 18 mpgs

Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 AM

i would like to think with those mods he is going to do, should increase his MPG by 2 or 3.. hell maybe even 4....

what size tires are you running? stock or moving to 37 inch?

i currently have a K&N CAI installed. 37 inch tires. i still need to pick up a tuner to adjust my shifting.

i personally wouldnt mind doing the fan conversion. exhaust isnt a top priority on my list yet, as i would want to swap out the factory headers too when i do it.. and if i am going to go through all that, i might as well swap out the heads for some L92 heads.....which means a new manifold too, and the list gets bigger and bigger..

Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 PM

i still run stock tires for now but just like you its on my laundry list of things i want to do just havent figured out what size rim or tire then tire type i like the aggressive mud tire look but hate the road noise so thats a whole different problem. for now my list is enough and i dont care if it ever pays for itself cause its fun doing the mods and it keeps me busy.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM

Just a side note.... I get 10-11 in the city and 14-16 highway.... I wish I could get that 18MPG that has been previously posted...

Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 PM

I am a gas milage guru. I know just about everything when it comes to gas milage.

In my opinion, I'd have to agree with hellzarmy, it is not possible to get 17 - 18 mpg in an h2 (especially the old version that has the 4 speed transmission and non-electric fans, I think bigt does have the old version not the 2008+ which has a 6 speed and electric fans but its hard to tell from the picture and no information in his sig or his profile).

I have a 2008 h2 with the roof racks off, airaid air filter, tires very inflated (although 22's), 6 speed transmission, running mobile 1 fully synthetic eco oil promoted to increase gas milage, rear tire removed, etc etc The absolute most I've ever seen on an extended trip was about 15.5 mpg or 16.0 in the summertime. Wintertime milage is much much worse at 13 tops (northeast ohio very cold). Being in a different climate could make a little bit of difference. But as far as my opinion goes, it is not possible to achieve 17 or 18 mpg consistantly (more than 10 minutes or 1 hour, etc) in an h2.

Now I could take a picture of my dash mpg showing 99mpg, or 50 mpg, or 30 mpg. That doesnt mean that I can get that for extended periods of time: a true average, not 10 minutes of driving and taking a picture that says 18mpg on my dash.

Things you can do to improve your milage: (all this is not necessary but this is just a list of things you can do)

1. remove weight, such as spare tire
2. properly inflate tires or inflate a little more than recommended but never over the maximum psi
3. k&n air intake or airaid air filter / intake systems
5. performance exhaust systems
6. hypermile (look it up): shift into neutral when going downhill or coming to a stop or into traffic, it actually makes for an interesting and fun different perspective on driving. After a while you can perfect your hypermiling by shifting into neutral when coasting, going downhill, etc and often times not even having to hit your brakes at all when in traffic
7. mobile 1 fully synthetic eco oil promoted to increase gas milage
8. reduce drag, keep your windows up, off road lights on the roof and roof racks can decrease gas milage by 10% based on a car magazine article
9. anything that takes power will use power and thus put more drag on your engine to charge the batteries for power, thus reducing gas milage for that time period. If your headlights are on or your wipers are on, defroster, air conditioning: anything like this that uses power will reduce your gas milage for that period of time while your using it.
10. performance programmers.
11. drive at the lowest possible rpm
12. ovbiously regulate your right foot
13. install electric fans (minimal gain)
14. a 6 speed transmission will get better gas milage than a 4 speed in the exact same application
15. use low rolling resistance tires (not sure if this is even possible for an h2) or very well worn low tread tires would achieve better gas milage than brand new tires
16. Switching to HID headlights or LED headlights use alot less power and thus would increase gas milage a little bit vs the old setup

Last edited by pteam; 02-09-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by pteam
I am a gas milage guru. I know just about everything when it comes to gas milage.

In my opinion, I'd have to agree with hellzarmy, it is not possible to get 17 - 18 mpg in an h2 (especially the old version that has the 4 speed transmission and non-electric fans, I think bigt does have the old version not the 2008+ which has a 6 speed and electric fans but its hard to tell from the picture and no information in his sig or his profile).

I have a 2008 h2 with the roof racks off, airaid air filter, tires very inflated (although 22's), 6 speed transmission, running mobile 1 fully synthetic eco oil promoted to increase gas milage, rear tire removed, etc etc The absolute most I've ever seen on an extended trip was about 15.5 mpg or 16.0 in the summertime. Wintertime milage is much much worse at 13 tops (northeast ohio very cold). Being in a different climate could make a little bit of difference. But as far as my opinion goes, it is not possible to achieve 17 or 18 mpg consistantly (more than 10 minutes or 1 hour, etc) in an h2.

Now I could take a picture of my dash mpg showing 99mpg, or 50 mpg, or 30 mpg. That doesnt mean that I can get that for extended periods of time: a true average, not 10 minutes of driving and taking a picture that says 18mpg on my dash.

Things you can do to improve your milage: (all this is not necessary but this is just a list of things you can do)

1. remove weight, such as spare tire
2. properly inflate tires or inflate a little more than recommended but never over the maximum psi
3. k&n air intake or airaid air filter / intake systems
5. performance exhaust systems
6. hypermile (look it up): shift into neutral when going downhill or coming to a stop or into traffic, it actually makes for an interesting and fun different perspective on driving. After a while you can perfect your hypermiling by shifting into neutral when coasting, going downhill, etc and often times not even having to hit your brakes at all when in traffic
7. mobile 1 fully synthetic eco oil promoted to increase gas milage
8. reduce drag, keep your windows up, off road lights on the roof and roof racks can decrease gas milage by 10% based on a car magazine article
9. anything that takes power will use power and thus put more drag on your engine to charge the batteries for power, thus reducing gas milage for that time period. If your headlights are on or your wipers are on, defroster, air conditioning: anything like this that uses power will reduce your gas milage for that period of time while your using it.
10. performance programmers.
11. drive at the lowest possible rpm
12. ovbiously regulate your right foot
13. install electric fans (minimal gain)
14. a 6 speed transmission will get better gas milage than a 4 speed in the exact same application
15. use low rolling resistance tires (not sure if this is even possible for an h2) or very well worn low tread tires would achieve better gas milage than brand new tires
16. Switching to HID headlights or LED headlights use alot less power and thus would increase gas milage a little bit vs the old setup
Ok fuel Gru ru!

Shes a 2006 6.0. Cat is gone. Tires are aired up. Third seat and excess weight has been taken out. I run BP gas. Running 60mph down at the beach flat area cruising is 17 to 18. I pulled over and took my picture which is listed above.

Basically what I am seeing with my H2 in that 55 to 60mph range, it is getting 17 to 18. Running 75 to 80 is dropps off bad to 14-15. In town it is 12-14.

Thats the deal. If it upsets you im sorry! Thats just the numbers when you crunch the math with a calculator and ignore the readout. Its close but not accurate.

Quick Reply: 04/06 mpg?