PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Hummer Elbow"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Default "Hummer Elbow"

Anyone add some padding to the driver's side door to for some comfort on long drives? It may just be my body geometry but when I prop my left arm up on the door to hold the wheel my elbow lands right on the tendons. I'm too tall to reach the stock arm rests...I imagine most everone is.

During daily driving this isn't much of an annoyance. I have a 2,500 mile drive coming soon and think in my old age I'll end up with Hummer Elbow if I don't engineer some sort of pad to put between me and the hard plastic. There are some aftermarket one but they all appear to be built for cars. This one is for 18-wheeler drivers but looks interesting...

http://www.autocoversr.us/trucker-comfort-rest-pads-p-367.html

Although I am more into function than form I'd like to do something that looks pretty decent inside this fine vehicle. Any ideas?

H34me

Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 PM
CWS
Default RE: "Hummer Elbow"

Whew........for a minute I thought "Hummers Elbow" was some sort of Brokeback Mountain thing.

Good idea for a little extra padding though.

Cliff

Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 PM

LOL Cliff.

I'm hoping someone 'round here's already dealt with this. If not I'll get creative...which is dangerous. If I find a good solution I'll post it.

H34me

Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I got Hummer's elbow but it is from washing and drying the Hummers not driving them.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about that, I have that too. Made the mistake of layering the Meguiar's NXT paste on way too thick. Three hours later I finally finished hand buffing it all off. Thought I was gonna have the Fred Sanford "big one."

H34me

Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: H34me

Anyone add some padding to the driver's side door to for some comfort on long drives? It may just be my body geometry but when I prop my left arm up on the door to hold the wheel my elbow lands right on the tendons. I'm too tall to reach the stock arm rests...I imagine most everone is.

Any ideas?
Here's what I did.

The center armrest was too low for me also. I jacked that up with some 1.25" nylon dowels from the hotrod shop (Lowes'). And some sheetmetal screws that were the same diameter as stock but 1.25" longer. Total cost about $2.00

The door one was alot more involved. I used a scrap piece of 3/4" oak. I mostly hated how the arm-rest stopped about 3" foreward of where my elbow rests. (I'm not 5'2",..I'm 6'2",...so I'm probablyWAY out of theintended buyers' demographic that GM had in mind)

I made an armrest extention that sits on top of the arm-rest and attaches to the holes where the window switches attach to with zip-ties. It is just painted wood, but I always wanted to add a 1/4" piece on top with batting and a black vinyl cover.

I wonder how I'd get these made up. I could sell tham as kits. One for right and one for left. Then the package of extentions for the center.

Nah, too lazy.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Old 02-19-2008, 08:40 PM

Duckstu thats some outstanding engineering. Thanks very much for the great photos and explanation!

I never thought about the center rest but that's something that could use a boost too. I am an inch or so shorter than you so have similar reach issues. I am going to ponder that door rest. I was looking to hang something from the top but your solution may be just what I need.

Thanks for the help!

H34me

Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 PM

Hey, good find rhill! I am going to research the first one...M5-RoadPro. That's one I hadn't found in all my searches.

The second one I did find on Google. The number one complaint from customer reviews was that it flies out the window because of the way it attaches. So with my luck that'd be five minutes after I hit the road. Hehe. It does look nicely padded. Maybe some velcro would solve the problem.

Thanks much for the links and the help!

H34me

Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 PM