PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody here build decks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Default anybody here build decks?

I am going to build a deck to cover my back patio that the backhoe broke rather than getting it repoured. I have built a few decks before but never this low to the ground, and never on a cement slab. My question, the posts are going onto a cement slab, is it ok to just anchor the 6x6 bracket onto the cement slab? The cement is 5" thick. Also, the max height of the deck is 6" off the ground so that poses a problem. I know most of the time youlag bolta 2x12 beam to the posts, then screw 2x6 joists to the top of the beam and put the 3/4" decking on top of the josts, this would be a minimum of 18 3/4" high.....not good for my needs. I was thinking ofplaning the beam down to 2x5 and also adding a two other beams centered in between the two outside edge beams, bieng that I would now have a secured beam every 14 inches or so I would do away with the joists and just screw the decking across the beams.......sound like it would work?

Here's a visual, a bad visual but you get the idea. The + signs will be the posts, the horizontal lines will be my 2x5 beam/joist systemand the vertical lines will bethe ribbon joist. The deck is going to be 35' by 10'. Ideas please?!?!?!?!

|+________+__________+______+|
| |
| |
| |

Old 03-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: anybody here build decks?

uh, [sm=icon_blah.gif]

Old 03-29-2007, 03:43 PM

kinda figured that much from you, it did take you over 10 hours and a dented h3 roof to install a garage door opener

Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=guilty.gif]

Old 03-29-2007, 05:11 PM

Sounds like a plan. Laying your supports on the concrete will be fine. You will want to secure the outside beams to the slab with some anchor bolts to prevent it from moving, but there should not be a problem. The only problem you mayrun into is ground heave. Hopefully the slab does not crack, as your deck will then warp to match.Being that the whole structure is essentially supported by the slab, a 14" span for the 3/4" decking surface should be fine.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 PM

cool, thanks!! when you say to secure the outside beams to the slab with anchor bolts are you saying to secure the beams directly to the slab without posts? Or should I attach posts to the slab then secure the beams to the posts. I was thinking that if I achor 6x6 posts to the slab then I could take the 2x5 beams and lag bolt them to the 6x6 posts. That way the beams would be set 1/2 above the cement sab so that I have some sort of room for water to flow. I'm not going to meet code either way but what the township don't know won't hurt me

Old 03-29-2007, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

cool, thanks!! when you say to secure the outside beams to the slab with anchor bolts are you saying to secure the beams directly to the slab without posts? Or should I attach posts to the slab then secure the beams to the posts. I was thinking that if I achor 6x6 posts to the slab then I could take the 2x5 beams and lag bolt them to the 6x6 posts. That way the beams would be set 1/2 above the cement sab so that I have some sort of room for water to flow. I'm not going to meet code either way but what the township don't know won't hurt me
Yes, fasten the mounting posts to the slab. This will prevent the deck from being pushed sideways etc from snow/ice/wind, and will allow you to raise/lower the deck by removing the lag bolts holding the cross members to it should the slab heave. As you mentioned, this will allow space below for water drainage. I do not know the regulations out there in the styx, but here in BC Canada, the building code says that for a 10' span, a wood joist 2x6 must be on 12" centres. (16" for 9' span). Shaving it down to 5" is going to make it at little bouncy though.You won't fall through, but it's won't feel extremely solid. I might recommend putting some small solid shim that you can put 1/2 way along each joist to keep the vibration to a minimum.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 AM

Good timing, just started a 990 square foot deck with sunk'n hot-tub wrapped around our pool. Can't wait for the finished results.

I am, however..hiring a contractor to complete I don't have the expertise to complete such a task.

Best of luck bud, I'll post pics when mine is done and we can see who's is better

Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 AM

You can do what you want but if I were doing it ot my house I would surely remove the slab then drop my posts. Your slab has cracks in it now which will let water in under it. In winter the water turn to ice andheave hoe goes the slab and your deck. I have seen slabe heave 3 inches here in Buffalo's winters and you are not that far from me. It just seems less of a head ache a few years down the road...JM $.02...But the rest of the plan is tight...[X(]

Old 03-30-2007, 11:38 AM

I would not use the slab i would use cement tubes and you need to go below the frost line.

[IMG]local://upfiles/111/CC0E35E61AC44374963A58B7DC4DF6E0.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: anybody here build decks?