New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Starting Over

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 09:20 PM
Post Starting Over

Greetings all,
This forum has been incredibly helpful as I built up my 2006 H3 Lux to an almost perfect state.
Black exterior, black leather heated seats, Monsoon sound system, Gobi Stealth roof racks, Nitto 295 Tera Graplers, Air Docs air intake, K&N air filter, Artec Industries dual battery mount, Optima Yellow Top batteries, Tsunami battery terminals, AC Delco Iridium spark plugs, SuperModulation SuperSparkz, Trail Duty Bump Stops, Bilstein 5100's all four corners, DefenderWorx Locking Fuel Door, PCMofNC e-fan and PCM tune. Almost perfect.
Then this happened. (pic below)
I sent pics to the local GM body shop and the reply was an emphatic "Nope". Insurance company totaled my ride which I figured was going to happen. So I started looking for something new. Not only did I not care for a $1k/month car payment for a Raptor or Range Rover, there just isn't anything out there that appeals to me. These vehicles are unique. I've had offers to sell, but never considered it. Besides, there is nothing like the expression on a 5 year old kid's face light up who just stops to stare at the H3 as you drive by. That was me looking at the latest Tonka Truck or Hot Wheels car 55 years ago.
So I went out and test drove an H2. What a beast, but unfortunately not practical for my camping trips or driving through the mountains in Virginia and West Virginia. Long story short, I found a stock/no mods 2008 Alpha with 90K miles outside of Detroit which I'm picking up this coming week. Carfax report was almost identical to my 2006, radiator, wheel bearings, steering mechanism. First thing I'm going to do is replace the battery terminals and install the same dual Optima battery set up I had before. (I think Doc Olds may have mentioned battery terminals once or twice in the past). LOL! Next will come leveling, AirDocs, bilsteins, and 315/75 R16's. I'm sticking with the stock rims. I was also able to snag the Gobi rack before the adjuster got to it. Gobi has a re-install kit which I'm waiting on.
There will be more mods, so let the adventure begin again!

Well fudge...

Old 04-14-2024, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like your story is getting a happy return to a Hummer.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:14 AM

Congrats on the new to you Alpha.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:51 AM

your truck looks to have minimal damages on it. but hard to tell from the one picture.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:18 PM

Yes Sir! And an upgrade to an Alpha!

Old 04-15-2024, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Sounds like your story is getting a happy return to a Hummer.
Yes Sir! And an upgrade to an Alpha!

Old 04-15-2024, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Congrats on the new to you Alpha.
Thanks Tainter! Looking forward to this!

Old 04-15-2024, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
your truck looks to have minimal damages on it. but hard to tell from the one picture.
It does look minimal and I had hoped it could have been repaired. Aside from the grille assembly, fender assemblies, headlamps, etc., there was also damage where her car spun around and caught the left rear quarter panel, tail light and bumper. The appraiser report then listed the driver door assembly, wheel, tie rods, wheel bearing, control arm etc. He even listed the H3 nameplate. $131.23. I'd always be concerned with damaged items the appraiser didn't see such as the transfer case.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 06BlackH3
It does look minimal and I had hoped it could have been repaired. Aside from the grille assembly, fender assemblies, headlamps, etc., there was also damage where her car spun around and caught the left rear quarter panel, tail light and bumper. The appraiser report then listed the driver door assembly, wheel, tie rods, wheel bearing, control arm etc. He even listed the H3 nameplate. $131.23. I'd always be concerned with damaged items the appraiser didn't see such as the transfer case.
Cosmetic damage! Cheap to restore like new. Where's it now?

Old 04-16-2024, 02:44 PM

Sucks that happened, but I feel you wanting another one. My daughter drives ours mostly, and she loves the attention it gets. Me, I like driving what feels like a mini-tank. It's like an A-10 Warthog on wheels, is what I tell my kids.

Quick Reply: Starting Over