New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to the forum, about to buy an H3 tomorrow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 11:08 PM
Default New to the forum, about to buy an H3 tomorrow!!!

Hey Everyone,

Happy to join the forum and hopefully tomorrow I will be a Hummer Owner, I am excited yet nervous. Hope I am making a right decision.
I am somewhat mechanically inclined, have all the tools needed to probably do any repair. Every vehicle I owned since I gotten my license I maintained and repaired on my own. But every vehicle is different, so its a learning process all over again every single time.

I looked at a 2007 H3 Adventure 3.7L Today with 119K miles on it, car seemed like it was in good condition. 4 previous owners, the last 3 only put about 3k miles on it per year. Checked the CarFax and everything looked ok, nothing that stood out except the Odometer Reading Exemption Upon Registration, but that could be because of the state I am in (Nevada). It still showed odometer reading in some of the services however. Some of which I have questions about.

A few service points that stood out to me, and I don't know much about Hummers, hoping you guys can help out:
  • Most Recent Service at 118,235k miles included what appears to be ignition system service (new plugs, coils, wires) - car was toed in so not sure what happened there.
  • At about 117,479k Radiator was replaced due to leaking, prior to that, owner noted car temp was 3/4 when idling and AC would not run cold when that happened (with my lack of Hummer knowledge I am guessing it was in a fail safe to protect the engine) Needless to say, shop replaced the radiator and charged the AC, which was probably unnecessary.
  • At 116,365k it was noted there was a cylinder 2 misfire P0302, valve cover gasket was replaced during that service. I am assuming oil was seeping into the spark plug well? This point I am a bit concerned about. As I read through the forums it is suggested that valve seats are know to leak causing a misfire. With so little miles between the time valve cover gasket was replaced and the point where the car was toed in to have ignition system replaced is suspect to me.
Anyway, I hope I am just over thinking this. Let me know your thoughts, especially on the 3rd point.

Cheers!

Old 07-02-2023, 06:13 PM
Cool

Well I pulled the trigger and got the beast! Behold

All that stuff I mentioned earlier as I come to find after reading multiple threads is totally normal. Plugged in my reader and coolant temp was right around 215-225 at most and its 110 outside today. Changed oil to some fresh Mobil 1 high mileage and inspected some things under. No leaks that I can see apart from a torn Rack and Pinion, which I will need to replace. Look forward to talking with you all, specially you Doc

Old 07-04-2023, 08:16 AM

Welcome on board