PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lining the outside

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Default Lining the outside

Hey folks,
I am just curious. I had what I thought was a great idea back in 2003 after I had my new H2 fora couple ofmonths. The second week I owned my truck, I was out hunting for boar in badlands of Texas. Needless to say, while the truck had no problem navigating the dry creek beds and pushing through the brush, the mesquite tree thorns played hell with my paint. It took me a week to rub out all the scratches out of my paint and another week to get the ticks out of my truck that came off the deer and boar. Yes, kinda strange thing to do with a new $60,000 truck but hey, that's what I bought it for.

Anyway,a few weeks after I got it all straightened out, some tree hugger took a screwdriver or something similar down the drivers side of my new ride all the way to the metal. Unfortunately, I didn't know anybody in that town and I didn't catch them. Probably better off that I didn't.

I got a quote on a repaint and they wanted $3300 to repaint one side. I kept thinking to myself that if I repaint, who is to stop the next jerk from doing the same thing or worse yet, what if I need to go on another hunt. My solution was to put a high pressure truck bed liner (ultimate liner) on the lower part of my truck up to the windows. It was $300 less to do both sides of the truck than to paint one. Since my truck was Pewter, it looked pretty cool. I then had my wheels powder coated with crinkle paint to match the liner. Since that time, I have often been called crazy and sometimes brilliant but most people say, it looks nice. I want to know if there is anybody else out there that has gone this route? I also want to know if I wascrazyor not and I want to hear it from guys that actually own a Hummer. Only you can judge. You can see my truck on my profile.

Jett

Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Default RE: Lining the outside

Jett,

How long have you had that liner on there, how well does it adhere and does it come in black?

My H3 is 1 year and 6 months old and full of scratches from driving in the woods and having been side swiped by an F-150 that kept going.

I had been thinking about some type of coating and I like the way yours is done.

Nova...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 PM

Hey there Nova,
It's been on there since 2004 and it holds up perfectly. The great thing about it is that Rhino sells this liquid that I put on about 1 time per year with a roller. It rejuvinates the color and adds UV protection that prevents fading. All liners fade but when you use that stuff a couple of times, it for all purposes, stops fading. I have had several "people" try to scratch it with keys and other objects without success. I also had a lady in a Kroger parking lot push her cart directly into my truck and it just bounced off. I walked up to her after she had done it as she told me what an *** the owner of such a truck must be just to own such a thing. What I really think made her the most mad was because the kart just bounced off and I was laughing so hard. It didn't even make a mark. Then I told her it was mine. She got really quiet and ran to her car. It was great.

Jett

Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

I have heard of people talking about doing it but don't know anyone that actually has. Glad it works.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Jett,

Man, that is a great idea. Not knowing if I would actually do it.
I was up in the mountains and the trails are always just a bit too narrow.
Takes a bunch of time to buff out the branch scratches.
I didnt have any ticks to deal with though.

Sliding off a slick trail and into trees, now that is another story.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4620/63AF700CCEE04F72A998BBBD6D91F84E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 PM
dw

I saw a Nissan Frontier with the truck bed liner painted on under the doors, not as high as you put it.

Nice looking rig...

Old 05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

you paid $60k for a 2003 h2... in 2003?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 PM

I actually paid a bit more than that. I ordered mine within a few days of them just becoming available on the market. I had been waiting for them since I saw an article in Car and Driver magazine in 2001. The dealers were charging a premium for them (more than sticker), at that time. I actually paid more than sticker, had to wait 15 weeks to get it, andhad to finance at 4.5%.I wanted what I wanted, a factory installed sun roof, extra options andthat is the price that I paid. The ultimate liner and powder coating were on top of that.

Your message kind of implies that Iam either lying or was fooled. I don't lie and I knew exactly what I was doing. I just wanted what I wanted, when I wanted it. Sounds like you got a better deal at a different time that I did. I'm happy for you. I hope that you are enjoying your's as much as I do mine.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 PM

I've seen guys back on base do that to there trucks. It's a good idea if you are more purpose driven the street driven. They did the entire truck though. Don't think it looks bad, I might go ahead and do the back door just to make it match all the way around though.

Nice ride and welcome to the forums!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM

I love it!! I've wanted to do something similar to my H3 but I just don't know how far to go with it. At the very least, I want to get the fenders done with the color matched Line-X. I like your idea of not going with the body paint color match, but slightly darker for contrast. Looks great and wears like iron!

Quick Reply: Lining the outside