PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Toast 1800 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Default Transmission burned up 1800 miles!

hey guys left on 1/31 for a ski trip to Breckenridge Co from Dallas Tx 3 hours in check engine light comes on call my dealer they tell me it is a trans malfunction and to keep driving it. So when I get to New Mexico I lose high gear and is slipping so limp to Colorado. I take it to local dealer where they tell me trans is fried and will 5 days until its ready. I tell them i'm heading back on 2/5 so set at dealer for 4 hours before I can get a rental car. So today I'm told by GM that they will not transport my truck to Dallas and I'm responsible for getting truck back to Dallas. This is the reason GM is going bankrupt. Sorry guys I just had to vent Thanks

Last edited by mailman2000; 02-07-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 PM

PS just want to add that my dealer Sewell of Plano is trying there best so help resolve this have my fingers crossed that GM will make this right

Old 02-08-2009, 11:27 AM

this is what worries me about buying one..I live 100 miles from the dealership...(been told the local GMC ds could do warranty work, also told it wouldnt) I am about to buy something new just scared about GM or any "big 3" ...I had a very bad experience with a Jeep GC and after a lengthy battle with Chrysler I had to do a Lemon Law case...I won and got my money back but it was dissapointing...Ive had 5 Chrysler products in 10 years and then got crapped on...wont buy another...I want to support the big 3, but they should support the comsumer better

Old 02-08-2009, 12:41 PM

well gmc would not do the warranty work i called a dealership on the way and they told be it would not be covered and wanted $89.00 do scan it. If I can get out of this truck I will not buy from the big 3 again. I traded in a 2006 ridgeline that I never had in the shop now I regret it.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Default should make good

I've got to believe that since Sewell told you to keep driving and then major damage occured, they'll make things right for you. I can't imagine how frustrating that whole trip was, but things happen with any vehicle and big 3 or not, there is nothing on the road that compares to a Hummer. That's why you bought one, isn't it? Hang in there and keep us up to date on how Sewell takes care of this.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:33 PM

yea I think Sewell is trying but GM said I was on my own as far a getting the truck back to Texas I just could'nt belive how the told me sorry for the "inconvience"

Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM

I agree that any and all vehicles break...the difference is how the repairs are handled...The GC i referred to was an unbelievable battle...the local rep was an a$$ and told me "good luck" when I mentioned lemon law...I was very proffessional and polite...he then warned me that I would be spending a bunch on an attorney....he changed his tune when I explained I already had an attorney...my wife....I won the battle....in comparision we bought a new infiniti G35 and dont have a local dealer...had brake problems....the dealership set up an appointment, had a car ready for me to use, and fixed the problem...the dealership then asked if I could wait a few more hours because they were going to replace the entire brake system (they didnt want me to have any further problems since I was out of town) that is how to take care of a customer that buys a $35000 vehicle...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 PM

i agree I spoke to a gm exec. in Detroit today same story " we will repair the car but will not help transport it sorry for the inconvience". I do think sewell it trying but GM is tying there hands. I'm really thinking of taking the beating and trade the truck.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, here is a brief nightmarish history of the brands and dealers that have done similar:

1) BMW: Sold me a certified pre-owned (COUGH) BMW, that was supposed to be up to date on maintenance.
It wasnt...required $1,400 in repairs the following week. Spoke to Gen Mgr, said sorry no can do anything for ya...Fortunately, a salesman had approached me when I first arrived telling me how I bought the car just before another buyer did..I told him I wish they had bought it...His reply was "Oh because of the broken motormount, bad water pump, etc etc"...so after the Gen Mgr blew me off, my reply was as above...he had a check cut to me for $1,400...

2) Isuzu: Brought car in for first mantenance, upon leaving car began to shake a mile down the road, turned around and told service Mgr, his reply was 'Sorry we close in 15mins, come back Monday"...He ended up calling police on me after hearing my reply...

3)BMW: Called Road side assistance, told them battery is dead, send tow truck, asked for my location 1 mile from house...they said it was too close to home and no can do...Called Service Advisor, and told him my batterys dead, so he sent a guy to jump start me as it was against BMW policy for teh dealer to do anything else...drove to dealer, told service Advisor my battery is dead how much for a battery, his reply was "we have to do a whoel bunch of testing to make sure its the battery"..I told him nevermind, i will have Walmart put a new battery in, his reply was "that will void the warranty"...had BMW do their tests...guess what? $350 to replace the #$@!*& battery! $130 for the battery, $170 labor, $50 for tests...

4)Volvo: Bought Certified pre-owned (COUGH) S60R...whenever it would encounter rain or snow on road in a hydroplane situation, AWD or traction control would kick in and a loud ear piercing screech would issue from right front fender, breaking your ear drums...would fluctuate with the degree of rain ro snow...Called Volvo and brought it in..they said they cant do anything unless they can duplicate it....so everytime it did this I would call them, and they would say we cant fit you in....or since the nearest volvo dealership was 2 hours in every direction from home or work, I would have to deviate immediately from my course and pray the weather and road conditions remained until I could get to dealer and have a tech drive the car and "hear it"....never happened...even loaned it to them for a week...never happened...

5) Volvo: Same Ceritified Pre-owned (COUGH) S60R...wnet to get all season tires same week I bought it....Discount Tire informed me all my rims were bent...went to dealer next day and told them "you sold me a car with bent rims"...their reply...sorry, all sales "as is"....got banned from dealership after they heard my reply...

6)Ford: Traded in V6 Mustang for V8 Mustang GT, told them I wanted the custom rims back frommy trade as they are not included....bought the GT, but dealership refused to give me back my custom rims saying "we are losing so much on this deal, we cant afford to spend the labor time to swap them...you have to do it"...so in my dress clothes from work "business suit", I swapped my own tires...

7)BMW: Got hit by a tire flying out of nowhere on freeway, mangled my factory front air dam and all the front end wiring, and masehed grill...brought it to dealer who refused to look at it but filled out paperwork....Got call the next day from the same service advisor per above (3), he said he looked at car and "saw no damage"! I told him to go back outside and "really" look at my car this time...he did...came back and said "oh yeah I see it"..."I will just push the grill back in".....I pointed out to him the wires were all mangled and the air damn falling off..his reply was "you are getting my dander up, I told you there is nothing wrong with your car"...my reply caused him to hang up on me...spoek to his General manager...they fixed everything..of course the $350 battery incident per above happened a month later!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM

mailman2000
Here is what I found that might help you out. I don't know if you have gone down this road with them, but worth a try.
In your big owners manual page 7-7 look at the trip interruption benefits, and in your small warranty booklet look at page 28 titled owner assistance.
Also on page 26 of the small warranty booklet under maintenance and repairs.

Hope this helps you out, and let us know what the out come is.

Quick Reply: Transmission Toast 1800 miles!